Gobble45

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
hello people at TH forums.
To begin with my specs are:
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 - stock = 3.2ghz - attempted overclock = 3.4ghz
MOBO - ASRock 880G Extreme3 Motherboard (latest BIOS)
HSF - Coolermaster 212+ (with 2 120mm fans)
well i assume they are all the details you need.

so what happened was, i used AMD OverDrive to overclock my CPU to 3.8GHz
this went splendid, i run some stress tests(amd overdrive, prime95) and it didnt crash or anything, it was great :)
but my friend told me its better to overclock in the BIOS instead of a program that boots when you log into windows.

so clocked my cpu back down to its stock settings, and again everything was fine.

1 week later...

i went into my BIOS, and had a look at the overclocking.
basically i just changed the multiplier from x16 to x17 just for testing purposes (which would give me a clock of 3.4ghz)
i saved the settings, and rebooted my pc. when the computer was starting it said:
"AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.4ghz"
so i assumed that my overclock worked :D
yay for me...
but once i logged into windows, and read my coretemp clock speed, it read 3200Mhz not 3400mhz
i was confused, so check CPU-Z. again 3.2ghz :(
i check AMD overdrive again 3.2
ASROCK OC TUNER again 3.2

MY OVERCLOCK DIDNT WORK?
can somebody please help me understand what is going on?
have i overclocked wrong? or is there an issue?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
First of get rid of AMD overdrive and lose the ASROCK software program as well. Second, Set your multi in BIOS to x17 again --->press F10--->press ENTER......Viola, 3.4 GHz

What are your rigs Spec. i.e. RAM specs, PSU, and GPU

BTW...That set-up you have has really good OC potiential...I would say to could easily get 3.9 GHz - 4 GHz NP

Gobble45

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I have Corsair 8gb (4x2gb) DDR3 1333mhz (https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13237 2 lots of this)
my power supply is XFX Core edition Pro 750W
GPU = XFX 5870 1gb
NZXT Whisper Case

First of get rid of AMD overdrive and lose the ASROCK software program as well. Second, Set your multi in BIOS to x17 again --->press F10--->press ENTER......Viola, 3.4 GHz

i did this, but it doesnt work.. hence why i came to these forums for support?