Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom II x4 955 with CM hyper 212 + but still high temp

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 8, 2011 1:52:47 AM

Hi all
I just recently change the stock fan to Hyper 212+ and got an additional blade master to make the cooler a dual push pull fan combo. However the problem is even with this set up and with stock clock speed my temp still remains at 40-43 idle and 50-51 at load. I tried to OC it and the best I can get is 3.6 with 1.35V and temperature at 52. The moment I tried to OC TO 3.7 or 3.8 I ll get the blue screen of death in just moments of running prime95!
I ve tried reinstalling the cooler 3 times already but still the temperature remains the same. But note thatbthe first time in remove the thermal paste in rub too hard and noticed some scratches on the surfaces but nothing too serious.
My casing is Haf 922 mid tower with 24" fan in front (inflow) side panel(inflow) top (outflow) and 12" fan for outflow at the back.
Please help me in don't understand why my temperatures are abnormally highnas compared to others where when using this cooler their temp does not reach 40 when at load with stock settings
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 2:30:03 AM

what if it is repeated for the application of thermal paste, thermal paste might know too much too thick. so it is not effective to absorb heat from the CPU to the Cooler

Guide Applied Thermal Paste : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/3

and also make sure that heatsink really attached to the CPU surface, and locked properly, you can also do disabled Smart Fan CPU in Bios
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 2:40:14 AM

I've tried to apply the thermal paste a few times already each time thinner than the precious time. I disabled the smart fan and the quiet and smart fan control in bios also.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 8, 2011 2:59:00 AM

so with your stock cpu cooler/fan you got the same temps as with the hyper 212+?
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:04:59 AM

Not exactly. With stock fan my temp was 55 with average load.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:15:54 AM

silly question, did you peel off the protective plastic sheet from the bottom of the cooler? i didnt do that once.....silly me.

your temps arent really that bad, and are also based off your ambient room temp. hell will be hot no matter what cooler you have, ya dig?????
second, your blue screen arent from temp, they are from your systems oc settings. more tweeking required.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 3:18:56 AM

Anything goes wrong, such as Bad PSU could also make the CPU gets hot, because uncontrolled voltage with as well
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:26:45 AM

guavasauce said:
silly question, did you peel off the protective plastic sheet from the bottom of the cooler? i didnt do that once.....silly me.

your temps arent really that bad, and are also based off your ambient room temp. hell will be hot no matter what cooler you have, ya dig?????
second, your blue screen arent from temp, they are from your systems oc settings. more tweeking required.



I did peel off the plastic sheet off.
My ambient room temp should be around 30C
And the blue screen says hardware error that can't be corrected. Any clues on what settings to be tweaked? i'm kinda new in OC.

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 3:37:49 AM

52C at load is well within Thermal perimeters (62C max. with 55C-58C being most peeps comfort zone).

You might be surprised and reach a Vcore of 1.4v-1.425v with little or to no temperature gain.

I recommend that you move-up in small increments ( ie... 1.3675v, 1.375v, 1.3875 etc..) testing each time to see if there's any significant gain in temperature.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 3:40:06 AM

You will probably have to bump up the voltage to 1.5V to get 3.8Ghz with air but that would raise your temps even higher. AMD shows max. temp as 62C on that CPU.
Maybe your heatsink isn't properly seated or just maybe, ya' got a bad processor.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:43:15 AM

i'll try increasing the voltage slowly.
However everytime i tried 3.8ghz, and load it with prime95 it will just restart or Blue Screen of Death will pop up.
anyway whats the CPU VDDC?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 3:43:45 AM

PS: With an ambient of 30C (86F) you may want to put your OCing ambitions on hold, until some cooler temps start in a week or 2

In the mean time you may want t do some studying up.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:49:25 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
You will probably have to bump up the voltage to 1.5V to get 3.8Ghz with air but that would raise your temps even higher. AMD shows max. temp as 62C on that CPU.
Maybe your heatsink isn't properly seated or just maybe, ya' got a bad processor.


I just tried 1.5 V and clock it to 3.8GHZ and load it, good news is no blue screen of death however the temperature shoots up to 62C in just minutes and I had to stop it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 5:23:56 AM

If you CPU is too hot, why would you up the voltage and try to OC higher without improved cooling? Are you looking to damage your CPU? I don't get it... :??: 

Overclocking is a journey, not a destination. You need eveything right to push the CPU harder or it could all go up in smoke.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 5:34:00 AM

beenthere said:
If you CPU is too hot, why would you up the voltage and try to OC higher without improved cooling? Are you looking to damage your CPU? I don't get it... :??: 

Overclocking is a journey, not a destination. You need eveything right to push the CPU harder or it could all go up in smoke.


The problem is when I oc to 3.6 with 1.35v temp is stable at 52 but when I try to oc to 3.7ghz and load it with prime95 within a few sec my pc went into blue screen. The temperature was only 55 then. Then someone above suggested 3.8 with 1.5v so I tried and no blue screen but temp went up High. I think Ive done the best I can in improving the cooling of my current system without venturing into more exotic choices.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 5:34:44 AM

beenthere said:
If you CPU is too hot, why would you up the voltage and try to OC higher without improved cooling? Are you looking to damage your CPU? I don't get it... :??: 

Overclocking is a journey, not a destination. You need eveything right to push the CPU harder or it could all go up in smoke.


The problem is when I oc to 3.6 with 1.35v temp is stable at 52 but when I try to oc to 3.7ghz and load it with prime95 within a few sec my pc went into blue screen. The temperature was only 55 then. Then someone above suggested 3.8 with 1.5v so I tried and no blue screen but temp went up High. I think Ive done the best I can in improving the cooling of my current system without venturing into more exotic choices.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 5:41:46 AM

What psu are you using my friend was having a similar problem and he didn't have the psu to handle overclocking. Also did you make sure the fans on the 212 + were facing the right way? If not you will just be pushing air onto the cpu and cooling nothing.
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 5:52:51 AM

lbugg2 said:
What psu are you using my friend was having a similar problem and he didn't have the psu to handle overclocking. Also did you make sure the fans on the 212 + were facing the right way? If not you will just be pushing air onto the cpu and cooling nothing.


The fans are in the right direction.
I'm suspecting psu too. I'm using gigabyte 600 watt true power
m
0
l
!