AMD - Ahtlon II 245 or Athlon 64 x2 5050e

ManT

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I got a motherboard supports AM2/AM2+.
So I think Athlon II 245 (AM3) is alos supported on my motherboard because of backward compatibility.

Not sure which cpu is faster working with my motherboard?
Athlon II 245 (AM3) or
Athlon 64 x2 5050e (AM2)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I looked here at anandtech and doing a benchmark test I couldn't exactly find the
Athlon II 245 on there (but it did have the slightly faster 250) and I compared it to a Athlon 64 X2 4850e which is a little slower than the 5050e.
There was quite a difference.You will have to take the non exact CPU's in comparison but taking that into account it looks like the Athlon II 245 would have better performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=96&p2=36

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
You should be sure about your motherboard before upgrading.Most AM2 motherboards won't support AM3 CPU's whereas most AM2+ motherboards will.
Be sure to check the manufacturer brand and model number of your motherboard, go to their support website under CPU's and be sure to see if the CPU is actually supported.
I would do that first before choosing any CPU upgrade.
Maybe you have already done this then again maybe not.
There is a performance hit in using a AM2+ motherboard for AM3 CPU's depending upon memory type.It's not too bad though only a few percent loss.

Athlon 64 x2 5050e is going to be faster and better for the Mobo you have.
it's like a Ford and a Ferrari both once run in the city and the on a F1 track.
Your Mobo is the City road kind and the AM3 is the Ferrari kind.....
So it's pretty much sad.....
I just did it, you're still using or thinking of putting the Ferrari into the street, I bought the Athlon II X4 260 and put it into my Village road Mobo....lol... AM2 socket... M2N32 SLI...
Allthough it works fine, but my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ gave me a real good boot up time.
This one takes quite a bit, I understand why, but believe me. If you're not thinking of upgrading your Mobo for the next year to come..... go for the Athlon 64 x2 5050e
or better still go in for the AMD Athlon X2 7750 it maybe about 20 dollars more than the 5050e but it is certainly better and of course requires a little bit more power....lol thats twice the power of a 5050e in TDP

ManT

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hi,
I just bought this new mobo (AM2/AM2+) for a general purpose system for my daughter. So this will be up for running another 3 years at least I think. So if the Athlon II x2 245 (AUD$75) is cheaper than Athlon 64 x2 5050e (AUD$89), then should I go for the 245?

Yes, Go for the 245, but I would like to know the model of the mobo and the other peripherals you already have since that is what is going to last you for the next 3 years.
The AM3 is , agreed, reverse compatible with the AM2+ Socket boards but the rest of the stuff is what causes the main hiccups like the RAM the HDD the Graphics card etc etc and lets not forget the heat output.
For general purpose?? It's a relative term but I take it as functioning mainly on the net and word, excel, power-point. A little bit of low end gaming and some normal hifi music listening.
The 245 would be a great buy for that kind of usage.
Yes, you can upgrade to an AM3 socket board to get the full usage of the new processor after a year, that would be a nice idea and then the year after that you can change over to DDR3's making it a completely new PC. And hopefully by then the DDR3's would be dirt cheap so it's a 100% win to get the 245.
By that time I guess The Fusion and the Bulldozer would already be out and for all you know, they might be backwards compatible with the AM3 sockets.....

ManT

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Yes, the system for my daughter will be mainly for net surfing, home work (MS Office, Publisher), basically no gaming, but watch video via YouTube or play video files like .rmvb, .avi...etc.

What I got at the moment are the mobo (ECS A740GM-M), according to vendor's website it supports Athlon II 245. Also I got 2 x 1 GB DDR2 800, 320 GB SATA HD, graphic card is integrated into mobo.

The thing I worried is I may need to do a BIOS update after Windows setup.

Yes . I guess so. If the board you have has a bios version any thing before this version for your board 09/08/12. Yes, you will have to download this from the site and the version 09/09/21, after this from the site and flash the bios.
Although the 245 will work when you put it in and windows will install and work even before, but believe me it's always good to have the latest bios for you mobo running on the machine. And the AM3 is bound to work better and cooler if the right directions are given to it via the AM2+ socket.... and I guess the Bios will be doing that......
The patch the company has released is for a particular problem they faced with the 3d Mark restart issues.... but the roots maybe really deep since 3d Mark just showed them a probable fault in the bios other progs may have conked off at the wrong time, better safer than sorry:)
And ECS.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I'd go for and ASUS if I wanted long life ....

ManT

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Yes, ECS is the cheap one. I read the reviews from newegg that's not bad. Provided my daughter is not stretching it to the limit it does the job.

For Asus, I got the A8N-E and the chip fans was dead 18 months after I bought it. So I bought the Gigabyte for my own new system recently.

Yup, the lesser the moving parts on the board the better . i personally feel that, but I am a die hard Asus user...... so I guess I'd do anything before substituting it with another one....
But I guess, Gigabyte has been coming up with some very decent boards lately and I think I might give it a shot...

XCom-UFO

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Really?
I am also looking for a cpu-upgrade for my AM2 (non-plus) mobo.
Are you sure that it slows down an Athlon II to below the performance of a older K8 Athlon X2?
If that's the case then I would better try to find a K8 dual core.
I currently have an Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4Ghz single core).

Yup, sadly XCom I am sure, I just said , I did do it. I'd suggest go for the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.6GHz) 65W or then another higher model than that is Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.1GHz) 89W. If your board supports a high watt Processor than the 6000+ is a good or actually maybe the highest processor it can handle and the fastest and both are less than a 100USD so go for it.