Ugh, I think doomsday is finally here (HD crash)

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
XP and WD Raptor 60GB

I woke up today to BSOD Kernel_stack_in_page error. Rebooted, BIOS behaving slowly...then gets stuck at detecting IDE drives. Let it sit for a good 15 minutes and it will not detect the drive. I cannot enter BIOS with my main HD SATA cable connected. I disconnected it, and it detected my secondary HD and let me enter BIOS. I pulled drive out, dusted it off and reinstalled it upside down just for kicks, and nothing. I plugged another SATA cable into my motherboard and plugged that into the drive, and it is not detected at all as if it's not hooked up and I can enter BIOS, wondering if its the wrong kind of SATA cable? I tried swapping the SATA cable from my secondary drive to the main drive, same thing as originally got, stuck at detecting IDE drives and can't enter BIOS.

Why can I not get any response from BIOS about the drive, is this known to happen for failing drives? The drive wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of failure recently, except one thing I did notice last night right before I went to bed is that instead of the normal jack-hammering Raptor drive head noise I hear when the drive is working, it was much softer and actually sounded like I normal drive.

Is this the end? :cry: It seems my only option may be installing Windows on my secondary drive or a new drive, and getting a hold of a external USB drive enclosure to see if I can recover any data from the drive...but I don't even know if I should bother with this is I can't get any response from the drive.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

popatim

Titan
Dont waste your time, if your motherboard cant see it in any sata connector then neither will the external enclosure.

I'm curious thou, does the drive spin up?

edit - by the way, many new disk based drives are faster than the raptors in transfer speed for a good portion. (transfer speed slows down as the head moves inward on the disk) so you dont really need to spend alot to get decent speed.
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/991811-samsung-f3-1tb-raid1-faster-than.html

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Does not spin at all, as I do not hear the normal jackhammering noise the drive normally makes. It was suggested that I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours then give it a try, I guess that's my last resort as I've read freezing helps with drives that aren't spinning.