Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Toms' Community,

Ok, so here is my situation

I installed a new CPU Cooler (OCZ Vendetta) the other day and all was sweet, Then i upgraded the bios on my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Motherboard, and overclocked my Intel Core2 E6750 to 2.8ghz (from 2.66) and my RAM from 667 to 800mhz.

This was running fine for about a day before my computer began restarting itself for no reason.

The next day it died while i was using it, and reset my CMOS setting, so i figured it could have been the overclock. I turned that back down, and continued on normal.

It was fine for another day, before coming home today, and having my computer on, but no response from monitor. When i turned it off via power switch (button didn't respond) it started to "jump" when i turned it back on. All my fans would spin for a second, and two red LED's started showing on my Radeon HD2900XT.

I wasn't sure where to file this, but I figured here would do.

Could it be my Motherboard, Graphics Card or PSU? I have read some stuff about PSU and angry red lights... but I have an Antec Quatro 850W (which I assumed would be plenty)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

--Complete Specs--
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C DS3R - Bios F12
RAM: 4x Geil 1gb 667mhz DDRII
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz
Video Card: Jetway Radeon HD2900XT 512mb
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quatro 850W
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
Storage: 6xHDD 300gb - 1.5tb
Case: Antec 1200

Running Vista Ultimate x64

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I didn't run any specific tests, but it seemed to be ok. I guessed that after I downclocked again, either the damage was done, or it didn't do anything.

Why would it be RAM? That has been going fine forever...

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
You should've run tests after you overclock to check if it is stable. Otherwise, you wouldn't know until you got the PC at load and crash the system.

If you have to test both your video card and mobo. Either try using an another video card in your system or use your video card in an another system.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Check your temperatures.

Computers continually restart themselves if the components are exceeding the temperature threshold as a precaution.

That new CPU cooler would be a good start to check. Could have come loose or even the thermal grease could have an air pocket between the heatsink and the cpu.

If its not the temperature, its more than likely your RAM. Im assuming the RAM you have is fairly old by now. Running that at a fairly high overclock has probly resulted in your RAM being fried. Take one RAM card out at a time and test the system for faulty cards. This way you can salvage whatever is still working and dump the bad one(s).

ughh late night.

amirgtr

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Sounds just like me a few minutes ago. Take out all RAMs and put one back in, and make sure its properly seated. Then boot it up and if it worked, means that was your problem.

It is also said that it could be that the CPU isn't correctly seated. I doubt that's the case with you though.

I just got a 1200watt Tiger PSU and a 4870x2. I had the same problem at first, then tried that, and the graphics worked, but not properly. At least I narrowed down the problem.

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I will give my memory a shot in an hour or so when I have some time. Will also give my video card a shot in another computer tomorrow.

Didn't think much about the RAM overclocking, cause it has always been pretty stable, and have heard a lot about speeding up my particular sticks, but hey... stuff gets old.

I sorta hope its either my video card or mobo, cause I could go for a new one of either... My PSU is far too expensive to replace easily >.<

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
if everything is seated correctly and still you just get the fans turning on for a few secs hate to be the bad guy and say it but might be the cpu happened to my gf's computer during an electrical storm it was off but not unplugged. I was working. So could have been voltage irregularities that did something in on your computer.

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Gah... Well, i guess that is an option. The ol' 2.66 was a bit long in the teeth.

For a more detailed update, as i just swapped out all my ram...

I turn on the PSU switch.
Press the power button.
Nothing at all happens for 5 seconds
Fans and lights come on for 1 second
Fans and lights turn off.
5 seconds later they come on again. Rinse and repeat.

It seems weird that nothing happens after i hit the button for 5 secs... maybe PSU isn't giving enough power, it "charges up" then uses what it has for a second... thats what it looks like from a total PSU-issue noob's perspective.

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
bump.

I have tried unhooking all my HDD's and memory, and even my video card. Seems to be doing the same thing. I figure it is my PSU. I will give it a try with another one saturday and get back to y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.