Computer Overheating after windows 7 install

G

I recently bought and upgraded Windows Vista to Windows 7. After I did this my laptop started overheating which it has never done before. Now the only way I can play games and use my system vigorously is if I have a cooling pad attached to it. Is there any reason why it would overheat when windows 7 is suppose to help that issue not cause it?

noke

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I have just the same problem!
upgraded from windows vista to windows 7, after one houre of gaming, my laptop shuts down!
did you find a solution?

grtz

pathasse

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Also, Maybe try running in compatibility mode, by right clicking the app and go to properties. This helped me on some apps.

Good Luck

G

Yea.. ok he installs Windows 7 and you ask him about dust in the fan. lol.

9 times out of 10 this is a drivers update issue. This happens quite frequently on HP Pavilions.

Either you need to update your BIOs, or the new video card driver windows 7 installed is causing it to overheat and crash.

This has been an issue with my HP Pavilions since I bought it a year ago, anytime Windows update tried to update the video card drivers, immediately the laptop would over heat and begin shutting down without saving work. Returned the computer 3 times until the warranty ran out, then HP wanted a ridiculous amount of money to repair something they did not repair the first three times.

I recommend try to roll back to a previous video driver from before the Windows 7 install. If that does not work, you may not be able to resolve the issue unless you revert back to previous OS.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 last night, and almost immediately this laptop began overheating and crashing as well.

brendz155

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hmm you might got a broken fan or its clogged with dust and particles buy a can of compressed air and clean it.

hope this helped
brendan

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I think you should look for the latest drivers. I had a similar problem with HP but I was using XP pro but the same problem. After installing the latest drivers, the problem was solved.

dwayne42

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Yea.. ok he installs Windows 7 and you ask him about dust in the fan. lol.

9 times out of 10 this is a drivers update issue. This happens quite frequently on HP Pavilions.

Either you need to update your BIOs, or the new video card driver windows 7 installed is causing it to overheat and crash.

This has been an issue with my HP Pavilions since I bought it a year ago, anytime Windows update tried to update the video card drivers, immediately the laptop would over heat and begin shutting down without saving work. Returned the computer 3 times until the warranty ran out, then HP wanted a ridiculous amount of money to repair something they did not repair the first three times.

I recommend try to roll back to a previous video driver from before the Windows 7 install. If that does not work, you may not be able to resolve the issue unless you revert back to previous OS.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 last night, and almost immediately this laptop began overheating and crashing as well.

windows 7 still needs work i think so i went back to vista. Almost ended up sending my computer away for nothing. It's a driver issue. Do you think it will work to have the windows 7 but rollback that driver to the vista driver? I am operating with a dell laptop inspiron 1525 processor 2.0 2g mem 320 g hard drive. what do you think??

pwrhamr

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Could be something as simple as file sharing being enabled with media player. Makes the system and fan work overtime. Turn off file sharing. Will notice an immediate improvement.

viseo2001

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
This my second try with windows 7 64bit and 32bit o/s on my Toshiba laptop, that by the way toshiba tell's me there should be no problem having win 7 on my machine. Well wrong answer toshiba, because no matter what i do or try the laptop overheats and the fan keeps going full speed all the time.

The thing to do at this time people is wait for Microsoft to put out a service pack and hope this fixes the problem so many people are having and also keep checking your laptop manufacture for a bios update and other drivers for your machine, just remember when windows xp first came out it was terrible until the first service pack, why should windows 7 be any different.

tehdansorz

Honorable
May 19, 2012
The same problem here ! I have a HP Pavillion dv5 and i upgraded my windows from vista to 7 . At first there were no problems , but now it overheats faster every time . I cleaned my fan , nothing changed . I think this is a driver problem , try going and updating them . I'll post again if it helped me !

tehdansorz

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Ok , most of you have HP Pavillion with ATI software , right ?
Here's what you have to do :
1. Update ALL ATI drivers .
2. Restart your computer .
3. Go to Start > All Programs > AMD Vision Engine Control Center and launch the program .
4. Go to Power > CPU Power and set both Processor speeds to 50% .
5. Tweak everything else to what you think your computer can/can't do .
You're done ! My computer doesn't overheat anymore . Your shouldn't either - have fun !

tehdansorz

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Also - if you are playing some game that's fullscreen , change your power plan to Balanced if you don't want your computer to overheat again .