Sign in with
Your question

Did I kill my i5?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2011 5:59:09 AM

Hey guys, really scary problem here.
I've OCed my i5 2500k to 4.4ghz. I have the Asus P8Z68-V. I had the CPU at 1.3v, LLC at Ultra High, Phase control extreme, PPL Overvoltage off, Current Capability at 120 percent. At load it would drop to 1.28v, and ran at about 62 degrees celcius.

This morning I tryed bringing to voltage down to 1.29, to see if I could get better temps. I also put the Phase control down onto Optimized.
Then the computer would not boot.
On the second boot attempt it POSTed and said cpu temperature error. And It was legit, I could feel the hot air coming out the exhaust. (I have the scythe mugen 2, and it was good before this....)

I waited for it to cool, then at the third try it hung at ASUS screen, would not enter bios.

I reset CMOS via jumpers, but now its just a black screen and a red "CPU led" light on the mobo. (Which I have never seen lit...)
Did I fry it? Why would decreased voltage have this effect?

HELP!!!

Thanks.

More about : kill

a b à CPUs
September 8, 2011 6:18:02 AM

RIP i5 2500k :( 
September 8, 2011 6:31:41 AM

Yeah.....there's a good chance you may have damaged the cpu.......fried may not be the best desciption, but damaged......yes. As far as lowering the voltage, yes it can still do damage. Voltage is not the same thing as watts, amps, and so on......I suppose you could describe it as electrical pressure. Lowering it will not necessarily reduce the power load on the cpu internals. Anyways, sorry for the loss. Maybe you'll luck out and discover it still actually works.
Related resources
September 8, 2011 6:41:20 AM

Try taking out the cmos battery for 1 min
September 8, 2011 6:51:09 AM

Well, Here's what you can try, but I doubt it's gonna work. Take off the cpu, then turn on your PC (never tried it), then turn it off. Then take the cpu back, and see what happens.. (this is just common sense I'm not saying anything I've experienced).
However, this is a very good life lesson, I believe next time you won't go so far, especially if it's not needed, I mean I doubt i5 will ever get at 100% usage doing gaming.
Also, there's another option: you damaged your mobo?
September 8, 2011 7:09:26 AM

StefanTheGreat said:
Well, Here's what you can try, but I doubt it's gonna work. Take off the cpu, then turn on your PC (never tried it), then turn it off.

Dont do this.

do as 1tym said and take out the cmos batt out for awhile, make sure the power supply is not plugged in.

I doubt you fried your cpu. Your mobo should be ok, but could be a problem. the voltage settings you used are very mild. Try a different power supply and see what happens.
Make sure everything that does not need to be in the system is out (extra cards...etc)
try only 1 ram stick at a time, try different ram slots.
September 8, 2011 3:46:08 PM

Thanks for the fast replies, obviously I like tomskent's answer best. I picked up a PSU from a friend, actually its the same exact model as mine, (CoolerMaster GX Series 750W) , but its the same story, also with switched around RAM and no Hardrive or optical. I also took out the battery, same story...

In the manual the CPU LED means a cpu error during post.

What I still dont understand is this: How could have lowering the voltage harmed the cpu? I mean, normally you set a target clock speed, a high voltage, and then lower the voltage till its unstable, and then raise it two clicks. I thought the worst case scenario was that the system crashes under prime. What really confuses me is why did the temperature spike all of the sudden?
HELP!
September 9, 2011 12:01:26 AM

I dont think the cpu is harmed, its most likely the mobo. It happens.

If anything, take out the cpu from the socket and inspect the front/back of the cpu as well as the pins on the mobo. Anything look fishy?
if everything looks ok, put it back in and try to turn on the system again and see what happens. Do this without extra stuff attached to the mobo.
unplug all the power cables into the mobo and then reinstall them, they could be loose.
September 9, 2011 1:18:27 AM

If you do take out the CPU like tomskent recommended just make sure you clean off the heatsink and cpu and reapply some new thermal compound to the cpu.
September 9, 2011 3:08:04 PM

Ok, so both the CPU and the socket look fine.... The sockets pins are bent systematically, the bottom ones going up-right, the top going down-left. Thats normal right?

Ok so I reseated the cpu, and started it up with one RAM stick, but still the same problem.....

There is a shop that builds gaming pcs right under my apartment, and I worked there for 2 weeks, I guess the obvious course of action is to take the cpu over there and see if it works. If so, then I could just RMA the board. If the CPU dosnt work, then Ill RMA the CPU. Its 24 month warranty, so its all good.

Still, I cannot understand how lowering voltage/phase control would fry the mobo? I mean, would It do that to other mobos, is there a line in the overclock bible that says dont do that? Or was it just a crappy board?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 4:42:51 PM

Where was the hot air coming out? the PSU? maybe it killed the PSU and not the motherboard/CPU.
September 9, 2011 5:00:49 PM

@ cadder

Thats a possibility.

@ OP

I doubt it killed your CPU. Most probably either the PSU or the MoBo got damaged due to frequent changes of voltage.
September 9, 2011 5:33:11 PM

No, the PSU is at the bottom of the case, and the cpu fan blowing toward the exhast is at the top. Ive held my hand at the exhaust under 60 degrees cpu temp, and it wasnt very warm air, that time tho, it was hot.

Well its probably not the PSU as I have tested with 2. Mobo sounds right, it always has the CPU led on, which makes me think its the CPU, but when I start up without RAM, the RAM light dosnt show, which makes me think its the mobo.
So the voltage change in general made it fail? I only went from 1.3 to 1.29, not necessarily a big jump... But either way I should have let it be....
September 11, 2011 10:13:48 AM

I think its purely coincidence that the mobo went out when you lowered the voltages.

Ive seen stranger things

:) 
September 11, 2011 3:00:39 PM

Hmm, weird. Anyway, how am I gonna get it RMAed, should I tell them it just stopped working, or that I just started using it now and that its DOA? I mean, I cleared the BIOS like 3 times so I doubt they will know for sure that I OCed, but will they believe that it just stopped working? Maybe I can say I left it on for like 3 days running Prime or something...
September 11, 2011 7:40:12 PM

Max1s said:
No, the PSU is at the bottom of the case, and the cpu fan blowing toward the exhast is at the top. Ive held my hand at the exhaust under 60 degrees cpu temp, and it wasnt very warm air, that time tho, it was hot.

Well its probably not the PSU as I have tested with 2. Mobo sounds right, it always has the CPU led on, which makes me think its the CPU, but when I start up without RAM, the RAM light dosnt show, which makes me think its the mobo.
So the voltage change in general made it fail? I only went from 1.3 to 1.29, not necessarily a big jump... But either way I should have let it be....

One last thing before you RMA it. Do you have a case speaker hooked up? Because you mentioned removing the ram. The mobo would beep like crazy signaling no ram. So maybe it's giving out a beep code for something else and we just don't know.

If you wanna RMA just say it was DOA lol.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 8:09:55 PM

1tym said:
Try taking out the cmos battery for 1 min

if your going to remove the CMOS battery do it for 30mins-1hr
and it would be a better idea to suggest messing with the jumper pins as for if a jumper pin shorts your less likely to lose a hand lol
September 12, 2011 3:00:45 AM

My old C2Q died from changing the voltage down, and it took the motherboard, the RAM and the power supply with it... I'm just wondering why mine took all that with it...
September 12, 2011 3:06:00 PM

Strange, I never knew moving the voltage down could hurt anything. I just gave my CPU to the computer shop so I'll know by tomorrow if its busted.
No, I dont have a speaker, should I get one? What else would it be signaling? It would at least POST if it were some other error right?
The problem with saying the mobo is DOA is they know I've had it for a month.
God, that really sucks FtsArtek. Sorry to hear that. I have no idea why that would happen. Sounds like a surge or a short but through the whole system... :-(
September 12, 2011 8:05:06 PM

I got it looked at but they were never sure what happened... My new AMD machine runs nicely though, so I guess that in the end I came out better off.
September 14, 2011 4:09:22 PM

Well shoot, the guys downstairs said my cpu is dead. So thats gonna fun to RMA, especially since I also have performance RAM, a cpu cooler, and a 12 phase mobo on the order with the cpu....
"Overclocking? Whats that?"
September 15, 2011 7:43:59 PM

Max1s said:
Well shoot, the guys downstairs said my cpu is dead. So thats gonna fun to RMA, especially since I also have performance RAM, a cpu cooler, and a 12 phase mobo on the order with the cpu....
"Overclocking? Whats that?"

LOL. I'm sure they can't prove it was due to overclocking.
September 27, 2011 1:57:43 PM

True, I received a new one.
Well I'm not gonna do that again.
!