Sign in with
Your question

Memory issues with new build

Tags:
  • Memory
  • New Build
Last response: in Memory
January 22, 2010 3:32:18 AM

Hi all, just put a new PC together and am in need of help with some memory issues. First off, the specs:

Core i7 860 2.8
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
8gb of Corsair XMS3 1333 (4x2gb, all slots full) (CM3X261333C9)
Antec 650 Earthwatts

The problem im running into is, with everything set to default in the bios, im getting errors in memtest (im running memtest+ 4.0). I get between 2-4 errors per pass, usually in tests 3 & 6. As far as I could tell windows was stable, photoshop ran fine as well as Prime 95.

I did some research and found that with all the ram slots full, I may need to raise the ram voltage a bit and maybe even lower the speed. Keeping the speeds and timings at there defaults, I raised the dram voltage from 1.5 to 1.7, and the PCH core from 1.05 to 1.24. This helped some, I went to 4 total memtest errors in 7 passes. All in test 7 from what I could tell.

The next thing I tried is lowering the speed from 1333 down to 1066, I kept the voltages at 1.7/1.24. When I lowered the speed it automatically changed timing from 9-9-9-24 to 8-8-8-20. In this configuration its 100% stable, 7 passes and 0 errors.

My question is, what, if anything, can I do to get it to run stably at 1333? Can I lower timings without changing the speed? The ram is rated for 9-9-9-24. What should I do with my voltages?

Sorry for the length of the post, any assistance or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

More about : memory issues build

a c 128 } Memory
January 22, 2010 10:40:14 AM

Run your ram at the recommended voltage, not higher. You are on the right track; if you can't get it stable at 1333, you can check for a bios update which might help; or you can send the ram back. Frankly, at 1066 with the faster timings, you won't notice much difference in performance. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with it; just try some moderate overclocking and use the memory ratios to keep it stable.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 22, 2010 12:33:10 PM

Gigabyte just released new BIOS this week which are supposed to help with memory stability. I would update to the latest and see if that improves your situation.

Also, the highest V your RAM should run at is 1.65 V. Anything higher is taking a risk. I've seen reports, though not the technical explination, that Vtt and DRAM V need to be with .5 V of eacch other. Try lowering your DRAM to 1.65 V and setting your Vtt to 1.15. According to Intel's spec the "absolute max" for Vtt is 1.21, though you will see OCers push it further. If you get it stable, you may even be able to back your PCH back down.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 3:21:58 PM

Thanks, I thought I may have been pushing the voltages. I lowered the ram v down to 1.64, the pch to 1.2, and raised the vtt to 1.15. Ill try running the ram at 1333 with these settings. If i dont have any luck ill try 1066 at the stock voltages.

Would I really not loose much running at 1066 with the different timings?

Thanks for the help!
m
l
January 22, 2010 6:19:48 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I tried running at 1066 with the stock voltages and im still getting errors. I think im gonna send this ram back. To many problems for the money I spent. Ill have to get some that the mobo maker specifically lists is compatible. I like corsair but I guess this time ill have to go with someone else.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 24, 2010 5:30:10 PM

Did you get the new BIOS releases on 1/19? If you still have the RAM, one other thing to try is lowering the "Performance Enhance" setting from Turbo to Standard.

If you already sent it back, let us know what you get and how it works out for you. Good luck.
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:37:58 PM

ekoostik said:
Did you get the new BIOS releases on 1/19? If you still have the RAM, one other thing to try is lowering the "Performance Enhance" setting from Turbo to Standard.

If you already sent it back, let us know what you get and how it works out for you. Good luck.

Yep, already sent it back. But yea, I had the newest bios, made no difference. The way I understand it, doesn't changing from turbo to standard just slow down your ram a bunch? Even if that made it stable, im not sure I would have wanted it running that way. Im gonna play it safe and get some stuff on the compatible list this time, ill let you all know how it goes. Thanks!
m
l
!
Grand