Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AM2+ Cooler Bracket MIA

Last response: in CPUs
October 27, 2009 1:19:41 AM

I ordered an iBuypower gaming system about 7 months ago from newegg.com.

I have since substantially upgraded it. Well I noticed on Speed Fan my core was always 50C+, and in 30 seconds of Prime95 it was up to 75C.

I ordered an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 to try and bring the temp down(Of course using AS5 for thermal paste)

Well I removed my old HSF, which appeared to be aftermarket, and went to install my new one, and low and behold I have no cooler mounting bracket!

So I had to repaste my old HSF and stick it back on.

So my question is:

Should my computer have come with the AM2/AM2+ HSF Cooler bracket?

I missed newegg's support by 15 minutes.

Follow up question: From past customer experience, will newegg send me the bracket?

Specs:
AMD Phenom IIx4 920 2.8 GHz
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 Motherboard
HIS Radeon 4890
XION 1000W PSU
8 GB DDR2800 RAM
Win7 64 Bit
1x WD 750 GB
1x Seagate 500 GB
1x Maxtor 100 GB
Antec 1200 Case

More about : am2 cooler bracket mia

a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 5:16:29 AM

No, not necessary. The Mounting brackets are of course supplied with the mobos, but in a case of third party assembly, it is not necessary due to customization and limitations of customized cabinets or mods it is upto the third party to decide what is needed in the cabinet.
Newegg will send you the bracket if you buy it from them.
You bought the PC from iBuypower actually, Newegg was just a retailer inbetween you and ibuypower.
Although it'd be easier for you to just walk down to the nearest computer hardware store around your place and pick up a compatible HSF bracket to go with the Arctic cooling thing.
Score
October 27, 2009 5:39:28 AM

I can't find any of the brackets on newegg.com, perhaps I dont know the proper nomenclature?

As for a computer store, there arent any close ones...
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 8:17:11 AM

Try this
http://www.cwc-group.com/am3bracket.html
http://www.cwc-group.com/am2back.html
http://www.cwc-group.com/secketam2.html

I guess anyone of these is compatible with your mobo
Hope it helps

From what I gathered of your description of the problem, I think the Back Support plate (Backside of the Mobo, a steele plate is screwed to the Front side bracket )
I guessed both are missing, the back support plate and the oval-ish plastic perimeter sort of wall around the processor socket in which we mount the standard HSF (Heat Sink Fan) right?
Well, anyways whatever is missing in that set you can find in the above given links, as a matter of fact if something else is missing, you'll be able to find it on that site too, small spares, fixtures, mounts, etc etc
October 27, 2009 1:03:58 PM

Thanks!
Score
October 27, 2009 2:21:11 PM

I think it's quite frustrating that there was no information prior to purchase that OEM parts were intentionally excluded, to install a HSF that sets me at 50C @ idle, and 75C @ load!
Score
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 9:34:04 AM

:(  Yah, it is frustrating, but I guess, I've been in this line too long, well that's the only way the computer companies can keep functioning. Like they say in our part of the world " A car mechanic always leaves one loose screw in the car , so that you return to him "
Score
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 6:56:03 AM

Hi, If you solved the problem, please do mark the post as solved....... it won't hurt to grade the reply which helped and if none did, do let us know how you solved the problem . Please.
Score
April 7, 2010 3:43:08 AM

Best answer selected by cmcghee358.
Score
August 15, 2012 3:26:33 PM

Thanks Alyoshka,, you solved my issue at the same time. I have a broken AM-2 Retention Bracket and found the one I think I need on CWC as you referred.

Eldorado411
Score
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2012 8:44:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!