anicka

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi there
anybody knows how do I find driver for LAN chip.While installing from supplied disc it said Lan driver missing .

Solution
OK - got indepenent confirmation from the 'linux guys' (who typically know their hardware) - the lan drivers install from the nVidia chipset stuff; my guess - unlike nearly every NIC since the transition to GLAN, this one doesn't simply 'attach' to the chipset's PCIe bus. What normally happens is you install the chipset drivers, they activate the PCIe bus, which then 'exposes' the NIC to be discovered to 'want' drivers; obviously (and inscrutably, as nVidia does not release documentation), the nForce is doing something else, that is effectively 'hiding' the LAN chip's interface...
In that case, I would recommend contacting Gigabyte directly.

Your LAN uses a Realtek RTL 8201CL chip.
According to Realtek (Q9) this is a driverless hardware device and you should contact the motherboard maker for support.

Q9: Why don't I find RTL8201x driver on the website?
A9:
RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into chipset in such case mostly. Please contact your mother board maker or chipset manufacturer to obtain proper driver support.

Sorry I have no better answer for you :/
Hopefully Gigabyte's tech support can get you the proper driver.

anicka

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

This board is sold as Windows 7 ready so drivers on installation CD should work.It looks like hardware problem and according to forum I am not the first one to have LAN problem with this Gbyte board. So not only obsolete chipset but LAN , SATA and other problems. Anyone else having problems wits board?

anicka

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks, not willing to pay for something that maybe can provide what should have been provided for free.

bilbat

Splendid
I apologize - I didn't follow the link, it looked like it was 'direct' to the driver... I would not ever consider one of those 'driver finder' things either - they look like half-hazard junk, and usually want you to pay besides - as far as I can figure, to take a fifty-percent chance that the damned thing will load some wrong driver onto your system!

I'll hunt a bit harder...

bilbat

Splendid
Well, no luck at all - the link I gave you shows two ways to register to get the thing, first, to register for the site; second, to register to get a 'link' to a single file - neither one works! Following a huge number of references (with the usual lack of clarity to be found on the web :fou: ) results in one of two things - a pointer, eventually, to the crap link I gave you, or advice to simply load the (various, for the systems inquired about) nForce drivers, as they should 'contain' the LAN driver; my guess is that somehow, the RealTek chip 'integates into' the nForce chipset, thereby not 'exposing' itself as needing a h'ware driver... Have you tried loading the nForce cset driver available at GB? If so, what's happening in your device manager?

bilbat

Splendid
OK - got indepenent confirmation from the 'linux guys' (who typically know their hardware) - the lan drivers install from the nVidia chipset stuff; my guess - unlike nearly every NIC since the transition to GLAN, this one doesn't simply 'attach' to the chipset's PCIe bus. What normally happens is you install the chipset drivers, they activate the PCIe bus, which then 'exposes' the NIC to be discovered to 'want' drivers; obviously (and inscrutably, as nVidia does not release documentation), the nForce is doing something else, that is effectively 'hiding' the LAN chip's interface...

Solution

anicka

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Many thanks to you and others for trying to help me.

In the meantime I have managed to find solution myself!!!
If you use default Bios values LAN part of NVidia chip is disabled at does not show in device manager!
With LAN set to Auto it loads driver and subsequently shows as LAN in Device manager!!!!!When you load default values it again disapears from Device manager. My previous Gigabyte board did not have this problem and that explains why I have did not look at BIOS settings before installation and did not even think (like many others including you guys) that if something does not show in Device manager it is just because it is disabled in BIOS.
So just to sum this all up.
Your "linux guys "are right.Realtek device does need a driver,driver is included in NVidia chip drivers, but unless you set BIOS LAN to auto you will not have LAN in Device manager!!!
No wonder others are having problem with this type of LAN setup. It is so tricky (or stupid?)
It would help to mention this in Manual for this board.

bilbat

Splendid
Thanks for posting back with the fix! You can bet I'll never make that assumption again ;)

This is not the first time I've seen an incredibly stupid BIOS default; on some boards with on-board graphics, the default video initialization is set to a PCI slot - I didn't even know there was such a thing as a PCI graphics card; and on most boards, "Legacy USB storage detect" (also known as "USB storage function" on later BIOS) defaults to on, although enabling it and booting with certain devices result in the dreaded 'GB boot looping'...

Ya kind of get to wonder "do these ditzes ever use this stuff, or do they buy from Dell?!?"