Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4870x2: Watching my dreams shatter.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2009 11:02:46 AM

Thought I'm the only one with this problem. Apparently not.

Symptoms:

Checked all cables, nothing wrong with them. Monitor is also working fine, using it right now.

2. The fan of the 4870x2 spins really fast at startup, then slows, then does this "vrroomm!" fan spin (as if its a race car about to start a race).

3. The card shoots out very hot air, and also gets extremely hot. So hot that I can't even hold my hand in front of the exhaust, let alone touch the damn thing.

Conditions:

PSU: ePower Tiger Series XLR-TYPE 1200watt modular Power supply.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R (PCI Express 1.0)
CPU: C2D E8400 (not over clocked)
RAM: 2GB Corsair

Currently running on the same machine, works flawlessly with my older Geforce 7 Series. Not with the 4870x2 though.

RMA is not an option. Please help.
August 20, 2009 7:24:03 AM

Possibly. But what are the other possible reasons for this?
August 20, 2009 7:32:58 AM

maybe mobos messed
August 20, 2009 9:21:03 AM

It works with my other graphics though, so I really doubt it.
August 20, 2009 9:33:21 AM

Did you remove the Nvidia drivers while your old card was installed, then power down, remove the old card, install the new ATI cards, then install the ATI drivers?
August 20, 2009 9:49:05 AM

Defective memory, you can try to remove cooling modul, replace thermal paste, lower memory freq....
August 20, 2009 10:11:56 AM

clarkjd said:
Did you remove the Nvidia drivers while your old card was installed, then power down, remove the old card, install the new ATI cards, then install the ATI drivers?

I didn't, but the trouble is it artifacts even before the OS loads up. So it's not the drivers. Besides that, I went from a 8800GTS to a 3870x2 and it worked just fine. Now I went from a 3870x2 to a 4870x2 and it doesn't.

Stihy said:
Defective memory, you can try to remove cooling modul, replace thermal paste, lower memory freq....

So is it defective for sure or is it just overheating?
August 20, 2009 10:32:38 AM

It could be overheating, I mean if its blowing super hot air, then that should be a giveaway.

Out of curiosity, did you buy it used? I ask because you say RMA is out of the question. If so then you also need not worry about voiding the warranty, and should replace the thermal paste, and Thermal pads on the memory.

If you haven't yet, I'd replace it with the Nvidia 7 series card until you replace the Thermal Paste/Pads.
August 20, 2009 10:40:51 AM

Try it on another system. If it does the same, then you got a faulty card.
August 20, 2009 11:28:32 AM

Are any of the card's diagnostic led's on?
August 20, 2009 2:37:04 PM

When was the last time you updated your BIOS?

I have just the GA-P35-DS3R and a Sapphire 4870X2 and I haven't had a single problem with the setup, though I constantly check for BIOS updates (Gigabyte has 13 different updates listed on their website for mine, using the latest F13).
August 20, 2009 5:58:15 PM

@Cliffro: I got it used. I was wondering maybe I can somehow call up Sapphire and see what they have to say about it, which is what I'll do right now, and let you guys know how it goes.

@pauldh: It was at first, the 3 red lights. I took the RAMs out and put them back in and that problem was gone. Then I bumped into this problem. :\

@trkorecky: I also heard some stuff about that, but how do I flash the motherboard? Not exactly a tech savvy here...basically downloaded their stuff from their site and ran the executable file. Didn't make a difference.
August 20, 2009 7:12:22 PM

amirgtr said:
@Cliffro: I got it used. I was wondering maybe I can somehow call up Sapphire and see what they have to say about it, which is what I'll do right now, and let you guys know how it goes.

@pauldh: It was at first, the 3 red lights. I took the RAMs out and put them back in and that problem was gone. Then I bumped into this problem. :\

@trkorecky: I also heard some stuff about that, but how do I flash the motherboard? Not exactly a tech savvy here...basically downloaded their stuff from their site and ran the executable file. Didn't make a difference.

Well Sapphire to me has never been known for their "kindness" and since you are not the original owner(unless you know them personally) it will be next to impossible to get them to do anything for you.
August 20, 2009 7:16:49 PM

RMA
August 20, 2009 8:42:42 PM

amirgtr: Do you have a flash drive? You should be able to put the BIOS file on there, mash the button upon booting your PC to enter the BIOS (delete usually) and then load up the flash utility from inside your BIOS (F4 perhaps? I forget and don't have my desktop handy) and just load up the new BIOS through that. You can save the BIOS you're currently using to your flash drive as well, in case something goes wrong.
August 20, 2009 9:24:14 PM

Q-Flash is what you are referring to.

Step1: To use the Q-Flash™utility, you must press Del in the boot screen to enter
BIOS menu.

Step 2. Press F8 on your keyboard and then Y button to enter the Q-Flash™ utility.

It should look just like this

If using a flash drive, please note I could only get mine to work with it formatted to FAT. My 8gb XporterXT will only format to NTFS/FAT32/xFAT and will not work. But my 2gb PQI drive supports FAT/FAT32/xFAT/NTFS so I have to use it instead.

Also I can use my 2gb MicroSD card(with usb adapter) as well. So a flash drive isn't your only option.

August 25, 2009 6:10:50 PM

Thanks for the help guys, but things don't seem to ever work out the way they should.

I bought a Kingston 2GB flash drive, formatable to both FAT and FAT32. Emptied the flash drive, formatted it to FAT. Downloaded the file "motherboard_bios_ga-ep35c-ds3r_f4.exe" from Gigabyte's website, and extracted the contents into the formatted flash drive. All as you instructed.

The BIOS failed to recognize the flash drive. It only recognizes Floppy Drive A: MXIC 25L8005 which is 1MB. I don't even have a floppy drive. Nevertheless out of desperation I tried it, and it didn't work.

I looked around and found out others have had the same problem, and they resolved it by using FAT32. I tried that. Tried the USB plugs in the back with both FAT and FAT32 (yes, I restarted everytime so it'd boot with the drive plugged in).

I also tried enabling the Floppy drive and enabling the USB Legacy from BIOS, as some had suggested on other forums. No luck.

I don't know what else I should do.
August 26, 2009 2:47:45 PM

Just an update.

I finally figured out how to flash the BIOS. I used @BIOS and flashed my version F2 to F4. I can tell it was done successfully from the boot up page, where it says the name of the motherboard then the BIOS version.

Then I finally tried out the 4870x2, hoping for some results.

Nope. No results. Still does the same thing. As for the RMA, I'll have to find out where this was bought from, get the invoice, and get back to Sapphire with the invoice. They say that only then they'd be able to give me an RMA number and replace it.

Thanks for all the help though.
June 25, 2010 1:39:45 PM

Update:

I got a replacement card from Sapphire, or should I say, Althon?

Now you might think that's too good to be true, and you're both wrong, and right. It is true, they sent me another card. A DEFECTIVE CARD.

You know how the fan is partially inside the cards casing? Well the fan is loose. So unless I lay my case on its side, the fan sags down and grinds onto the casing and makes the most horrific noise I ever heard a computer make.

Not only that, I can hear the GPU process things quite loudly. It sounds like when your ears are ringing, just a lot louder. The damn thing stutters like crazy too. Funny thing is whenever it stutters, the GPU sound gets quite for just that split second. When it's done stuttering, the GPU noise comes back. Until I exit the game, which will shut it up again.

Is this card really defective? The fan can be fixed, and I heard the stuttering can be fixed too by increasing PCI Latency (which I'd appreciate some elaboration on), and the sound might be just normal. I don't know guy, you tell me.
June 25, 2010 6:26:04 PM

Just RMA it again, from what you're describing it isn't worth the hassle.
September 23, 2010 6:54:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!