XFX GTX275 Power connection

binaryreligion

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Curious about something.

I have a XFX GTX275. It uses 2x 6pin PCI-e connectors on the card.

With the card came a V shaped cable with two Male Molex ends and one 6PIN end.
I have asked around a lot of people seem to believe I need to connect both ends of the V.
Also looked through the quick install guide that came with the card and that says don't connect both.

Cropped image from the install guide

This is the answer I got from the support ticket on the XFX site:

Hi, thanks for your message,you`d better not to do that,
for reduce Power consumption,
two of molex connectors need connect different output unit. thanks Techy 529

So now I am seriously confused. I have it currently connected with only one of the fins, and it works.
The reason I did it with only one originally is I thought it might send double the voltage down to the card and pop it...

Could someone please enlighten me.

Thanks

binaryreligion

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I used both 6 Pins as it made sense that both would be needed. And I used only one Molex and it works. Was just wondering why some people seem to think you should connect both Molex connectors

binaryreligion

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Aaaah OK.

Funny way to demonstrate it, or I may be a bit slow on the uptake.
Thanks for clarifying it.

At the moment I'm forced to use the Molex converter waiting for my Corsair HX1000W to come then all will be right in the land of Oz.

levsummers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Hmmm just purchased and installed a GTX260 last night and I was baffled myself since this has the same plug in's as the GTX275, Anyways I connected the 2, 6 pin connectors with both having 2connector ends for the PSU giving me a total of 4 end connectors whjch I plug'd into my psu I have a PC Power Cooling 750watt and found connectors for them and plug'd all 4 in, but you guys are saying you only have to connect 1 end connector from the 2 6pin connectors? (sorry if I have missunderstood somthing) cards been working great so far no problems

G

Some of XFX cards have only one 6-pin connector, but it need to be powered up by 2 Molex, that's why XFX supplied provided V connectors. To your GTX275, it comes with two 6-pin connectors and each one should be powered up by only ONE Molex. My English sucks but I still hope this could help you.

G

Some of XFX cards have only one 6-pin connector, but it need to be powered up by 2 Molex, that's why XFX supplied provided V connectors. To your GTX275, it comes with two 6-pin connectors and each one should be powered up by only ONE Molex. My English sucks but I still hope this could help you.

G