Case temp predictions

tucansam

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Coolermaster Centurion 590, five Scythe 120mm fans, stock 120mm rear case fan, 80mm fan behind the CPU. Corsair 750w PS mounted upside down to draw air from inside the system, not from the floor vent. Seven total evac fans, including the PS, and one fan bringing air in (over disks). All extra holes in the case will be sealed (permiters around 140mm fan slots with 120mm fans installed will be sealed, PCI cardcage vents will be sealed, extra screw holes will be sealed, bottom vent on plastic front bezel, etc).

Essentially the only air coming into the case will come through the filtered front panel of the case, and even some of those 5.25" slots may be sealed off to direct maximum air flow over the components. I may end up not using the front fan for bringing in cold air; basic testing tonight showed that, even at low (and very quiet!) speeds, this case is moving a LOT of air, even without the front fan bringing air in.

Ordered a fan controller anyway, as my goal is a system that is as quiet as possible while still using air cooling (water is not an option). Controller is a Scythe and will measure temps as well.

Planned system includes an O/C'd i7, single mid-range EVGA video card (I am not a gamer), and a couple of WD Caviar Blacks (still undecided on this).

CPU cooler will probably be a Coolermaster V8 (undecided).

Wondering what you all might say about case temp predictions. This system is easily moving more air than any other system I've build using quiet fans, and I'm hoping to keep fan RPMs permanently low to reduce noise but still keep the system cool.

Thoughts?

ETA: Closed-cell acoustic foam and Dynamat will also be added to further reduce noise, and also to fabricate custom ducts inside the case to direct airflow over specific components. I intend to have no wasted space inside this case; all fans will be tasked with moving air over selected components via said system of ducts. My goal is stable, quiet, and cool.

Acoustic foam has a tendency to trap air and thus, hold heat. Even ducting may not help with this.

My guess would be that the case temps will range anywhere from colder than a witches titty to hotter than hell.

Truly tho, it's difficult to tell you what the temps may or may not be as there are a number of variables that could effect the temps, i.e.; brand of thermal compound, ambeint temperature, humidity, time of year, etc...

The best you can do is set your rig up and test various ducting/acousti-mat configs to determine the best cooling scenario. Personally, I would establish baseline temps with all fans installed with no ducting or acoutsic mat, then add ducting and measure, then add acousti-mat and measure, etc until you find the best temp/performance combination.

Lastly, the Coolermaster V8 is way over-rated...i would recommend the Scythe Mugen 2 or the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer over the V8...but it's your money and rig, so enjoy!

One more thing...do a google search on positive/negative air pressure for case cooling...