Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Connection
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 3, 2011 2:30:29 PM

Hi,

I had 2 hard disk 80GB and 500 GB and the mother board is asus M2N-Mx-SE plus. when i connect power cable to 80GB hard disk, i am not able to detect the 500GB hard disk. Please help on this issue. Thanks in advance

More about : harddisk detected

a b V Motherboard
a c 316 G Storage
May 3, 2011 5:30:18 PM

Umm, if you don't connect a power cable to the 80 GB drive, can you see the bigger one? (this would be a joke if you had one power cable and moved it from the bigger drive to the smaller).
Does "See" refer to booting or do you boot from the 80?
Where can you not detect it? In Explorer, in Device Manager, or in the BIOS?

Ahh! That mobo supports IDE. Are these SATA drives or IDE drives? Are the data cables flat ribbon 40-pin cables or smaller 7-pin cables? If they are two IDE drives, you will probably have to make one master and one slave using the jumpers.

With answers to these, we can make more informed guesses.
m
l
a c 94 V Motherboard
a c 941 G Storage
May 4, 2011 12:40:14 AM

If they are on the same IDE cable:
Using the jumpers, Set the 500 as master and put it on the end of the ribbon cable, set the 80 as slave and put in the middle.

You can also use CS (cable select) but position the drives as I mentioned. 500 on the end, 80 in the middle.

If they are on seperate IDE cables:
set each drives jumper to single mode and use the end connector of the IDE cable.
I would set the 500 in IDE port 0 and place the 80 on port 1. Ports 0 and 1 are the connectors on the motherboard. they may be lablled 1 and 2 but its usually 0 and 1.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2011 4:56:29 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Umm, if you don't connect a power cable to the 80 GB drive, can you see the bigger one? (this would be a joke if you had one power cable and moved it from the bigger drive to the smaller).
Does "See" refer to booting or do you boot from the 80?
Where can you not detect it? In Explorer, in Device Manager, or in the BIOS?

Ahh! That mobo supports IDE. Are these SATA drives or IDE drives? Are the data cables flat ribbon 40-pin cables or smaller 7-pin cables? If they are two IDE drives, you will probably have to make one master and one slave using the jumpers.

With answers to these, we can make more informed guesses.

its not detecting in the device manager, i am connected two hard disk using SATA cable.
m
l
May 5, 2011 4:57:59 PM

popatim said:
If they are on the same IDE cable:
Using the jumpers, Set the 500 as master and put it on the end of the ribbon cable, set the 80 as slave and put in the middle.

You can also use CS (cable select) but position the drives as I mentioned. 500 on the end, 80 in the middle.

If they are on seperate IDE cables:
set each drives jumper to single mode and use the end connector of the IDE cable.
I would set the 500 in IDE port 0 and place the 80 on port 1. Ports 0 and 1 are the connectors on the motherboard. they may be lablled 1 and 2 but its usually 0 and 1.

what do you mean by IDE cables
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 316 G Storage
May 5, 2011 6:46:44 PM

Girishhb2006 said:
what do you mean by IDE cables

It's the same question that I asked: "Are the data cables flat ribbon 40-pin cables or smaller 7-pin cables? If they are two IDE drives, you will probably have to make one master and one slave using the jumpers." We needed to know if these are SATA drives, which attach with one kind of data cable and have one drive per cable, or IDE drives, which attach with a wider cable and can have two drives on a cable. The troubleshooting procedure is very different depending on which one you are using (or maybe one of each).

You wrote that you connected two hard disks using SATA cables. If that's the case, then IDE and Master / Slave are irrelevant. A shame, since Master / Slave settings for two drives on the same IDE cable sounded so promising.

Popatim, there's only one IDE header on that motherboard, plus two SATA.

OP, just in case. Here's an IDE cable: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IDE_cable_40_pin... and socket:
Here's an SATA cable: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SATA-cable.jpg . Here's the much less common version with the power connector integrated: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Adapter_sata_R73... .

So it appears that you have two SATA drives, each connected to a different port on the motherboard. Either drive will work by itself, but if you power them both up the larger one is not seen by the system. Is that indeed the case? If you switch which drive is attached to which socket on the motherboard, does it affect which one works if they are both powered on?
m
l
June 10, 2011 10:46:47 AM

er..
can u help me out??
i hav almost the same prob..

i hav 2 sata Hard disks
the primary is 160 gb
i got a 500gb hd recently..
i have the IntelĀ® Desktop Board D945GCNL
i kno i require a sata cable , apart from that what else do i require??
pls reply at the earliest...
m
l
!