Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Quad
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2009 2:36:56 PM

Finished my E5200 OC build (just idling for the moment, drive unformatted).

I'm just wondering if the following quad boot is possible:

1. I have XP pro 32bit I will install this in its own partition.

2. I Pre-Ordered Win7 upgrade from XP pro - Can I install the 32 and 64 bit versions in two separate partitions?

I read that a Win7 upgrade from XP has to be a clean install and that it ships with 32 and 64 bit versions. I would like to check them both out without giving up XPpro just yet. This saves me the hassle of re-installing each time I want to check out a versions compatibility with older software.

3. Install Ubuntu - no problem with this, but now I would be at a quad boot.

Has anyone given this some thought, or tried it?

Thanks

More about : quad boot xppro 32bit 32bit bit ubuntu

July 30, 2009 4:02:19 PM

Seeing as you ordered the upgrade version, I'd wager that you can't do fresh installs of either the 32- or 64-bit version. Granted, I've never used an upgrade version, I've always done the full retail or OEM version, so I can't say for sure.

Aside from that, I don't see any problem with a quad-boot. Just partition your drive as many times as you want. I find it easiest to do on a single HDD, but that's just for my own convenience. And the Wubi installer makes for a great multi-boot solution for Ubuntu.
m
l
July 30, 2009 4:19:03 PM

Would be nice if win7 would allow it but you're probably right about the upgrade vs. retail.

I'll be doing this on a single drive also.

Just curious, which version of ubuntu are you using? 8 still seems like the most stable from what I've read.
m
l
July 30, 2009 4:50:47 PM

I'm running 9.04 on all my machines minus my eeepc , which is running 8.10. Stick with whatever works, since Linux just decides not to work on certain hardware or setups.
m
l
!