Solved

PIKE RAID controller?

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

I was looking at buying an ASUS motherboard for a server I'm building, specifically the Z8PE-D12. This motherboard features a PIKE connector to install an on-board RAID card. From my understanding it's an LSI RAID controller that when installed enables several SATA ports on the motherboard

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is it better or worse than using a dedicated RAID card (something from Adaptec or Areca)?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pike raid controller
  1. Best answer
    Which PIKE controller? The most expensive (PIKE 1078) should be quite good, but it won't match the performance of a RAID controller with a larger cache and battery backup.
  2. I was indeed looking at the PIKE 1078. The PIKE card runs at about 1/2 the price of the dedicated RAID cards I was looking at. I was just hoping that somebody would have some experience with them and give me their opinions. If it compares well to an Adaptec or Areca (looked at the ADaptex 5xxx series and Areca 1680ix) then it seems logical to buy the cheaper product.
  3. An optional battery backup is available for the Areca 1680ix and the Adaptec 5000 series controllers. A battery backup is not available for the PIKE 1078. Other PIKE controllers provide SAS ports, but their RAID support is somewhat limited. However they are inexpensive and they might meet your requirements if you'll be installing SAS disks. A cache helps when writing; adding a battery backup kit (not cheap) allows write through which is significantly faster than write back. What will that server be used for? That should dictate your requirements.
  4. My server is going to be used as a media server and central file server for my house and small business (I work out of my house). I was hoping to leverage RAID 5 or 6 for the speed/redundancy so that I get both the throughput and security.
  5. Then the PIKE 1078 controller should be fine. Will you install more than 4 hard disks in your RAID?
  6. Eventually. I was going to start with probably 4x2TB WD's. I'd add more drives as I need the space. For now 4 TB would be plenty of space(under a RAID 6).
  7. With 4 drives, I'd suggest RAID 10 instead of RAID 6. RAID 6 is better only if you plan on using more than 4 drives while losing only 2 drives for parity.
  8. Best answer selected by danrfxz.
  9. Howdy, I' just purchased the Asus Z8PE-D12 to host my Xeon 5540's and i have a handful of SAS drives and figured the SAS ports will work just fine. Is the PIKE card required to use the SAS ports? because i was thinking that it was a performance boost by adding in the cards. not a big deal, this board is arriving tomorrow so i will just have to make the purchase and get one of the PIKES sent out.

Also from the PIKE 1068E vs 1078, there is quite a price difference there. I saw that the 1078 has a cache and supports a larger variety of RAID Arrays and then i saw that the 1068E only supports having 2 RAID arrays so if you wanted a 3rd array or whatever, i need to spring for the big daddy. Is this all correct?

Thank You in advance
    Justin
  10. From the specs:

SAS Controller:
    Optional:
    ASUS PIKE 1064E 4-port SAS RAID card
    ASUS PIKE 1068E 8-port SAS RAID card
    ASUS PIKE 1078 8-port SAS HW RAID card
    ASUS PIKE 6480 8-port SAS RAID card

It basically indicates that you can't connect SAS drives without an optional SAS controller. There usually is a performance boost when using a caching controller. Unlike the PIKE 1068E, the PIKE 1078 is a hardware RAID controller (might not be important with dual E5540 processors).
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus NAS / RAID Controller Motherboards