Sign in with
Your question

Which Card is best?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2009 6:38:29 PM

I couldnt find the other thread I had wrote yesterday in. Anyways I have a Dimension E510 ,Intel Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.8 GHz) and 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

I am looking at the Radeon HD 4670 cards. I was particularly looking at the following page of cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

and was especially interested in the gigabyte one. However, I notice that it is a replacement only return policy on that particular card. With that in mind and my particular computer, is there another card for under $90 that you would recommend instead? Also, I am assuming that cards with 1gb memory is better than the ones with only 512, correct?

Also meant to say that I just want to play some games such as Sims 3, Sims 2, Flight Sim with high settings

More about : card

a c 183 U Graphics card
August 19, 2009 7:38:06 PM

Go with the HD4670, it's a nice match for the Pentium D in your Dell.
Only get a 1Gb card if it only a few dollars more than 512 Mb, the extra memory will give only a small benefit, so only pay a little more for it.

I like this one because it has all 3 common connectors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 20, 2009 6:23:59 AM

You can upgrade that Cpu also as the graphic card will be held back by your current processor any Core2 will do even those pentium dual cores.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 20, 2009 11:39:46 AM

Double check that newegg doesn't have more of the $40 9600GSOs. I woudn't bother getting the 1GB cards, not worth it if your using a P4/playing sim games.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2009 1:54:22 PM

cyber_jockey said:
You can upgrade that Cpu also as the graphic card will be held back by your current processor any Core2 will do even those pentium dual cores.

I thought my processor was already a dual core or am I not understanding or do you mean a faster one than I already have?

Also, I noticed that both suggestions have been the sapphire cards, is there any reason for picking that particluar brand over say the gigabyte one other than the return policy? Just curious if those are favored for some reason.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 20, 2009 3:42:22 PM

Your is a dual core, but its based on the older netburst technology. The new Core2 technology is a lot faster.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2009 3:52:32 PM

4745454b said:
Your is a dual core, but its based on the older netburst technology. The new Core2 technology is a lot faster.

Thank you, that clarifies it for me. On the graphics cards, Ive noticed that the 1gb cards are only $5 more, but seems that the memory clock speeds are slower. Also, some cards list open gl 2.0, open gl 2.1, and some not at all. Is that important. Also, is it better to have a fastor memory clock speed and 512 v/s slower memory clock speed and 1gb??

Sorry to keep asking questions there is so many things to consider and so much to choose from, I just want to get the most bang for the buck and keep in mind that I could upgrade the cpu at a later time. I know a little about all this stuff from you guys and research and experience with computers, but the technology changes so fast I definitely need your input to make an informed decision as to spend my hard earned money. I sure appreciate the help.
m
l
August 20, 2009 4:41:01 PM

OpenGL is a DirectX2D/3D "competitor." It's not really a competitor (currently) because they are used in different markets. DirectX for games, OpenGL for rendering. I would be shocked if a card didn't have support for at least 2.0, even if it is not listed. OpenGL 2.0/2.1 should be fine if you aren't doing a lot of rendering, especially cause only top of the line cards right now support 3/3.1, so there will be support for 2.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 20, 2009 11:55:55 PM

It depends on how much slower. I've seen 512MB cards with 1GHz (2GHz effective) DDR3 ram, while the 1GB versions have 500MHz (1GHz effective) DDR2 ram. If your looking at something like this, you don't want the 1GB card. If its only a little slower, don't worry about it, but if you have to go to DDR2, don't bother.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 8:40:22 PM

okay here is something im looking at, the Sapphire 512mb card shows that the memory clock is at 2000mhz on Newegg, but on the manufacturer's site it shows:

Core Clock: 750 MHz & 320 Stream Processors
Memory Clock: 873MHz, 1746Mbps.

The gigabyte 512mb GDDR3 card shows:
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon HD 4670
Core Clock 750MHz
Stream Processors 320 Stream Processing Units
Memory
Memory Clock 2000MHz

Specs on the gigabyte 1gb gddr3:
Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4670
Core Clock 750 MHz
Mem Clock 1600MHz

The sapphire is recommended, however, how is it that the memory clock is so much slower than the other cards or is it a difference in the way they are stated?
From what I think I know, wouldnt the gigabyte 512 card be better for casual gaming?

m
l
!