Closed Solved

2600K temps with NH-D14

The question isn't regarding good or bad temperatures but I'm just looking for a few opinions with people that have similar rigs.
As you read from the heading I'm running my 2600k with a noctua nh-d14 cpu cooler. I ran prime95 for 22hrs with 0 errors, crashes etc ON ALL STOCK SETTINGS. My idle is 30-35 degree celsius and my load (during prime95) is 50-55 celsius. The 5 degree discrepancy I believe is due to ambient fluctuations.

Now the question is, are these reasonable temperatures given my cooler or should I expect more from it. I would like a couple quick response on whether or not I should reseat my cooler before I see what performance I can get out of my chip.

P.S What is a reasonable temperature when OCing a 2600k to around 4.5 given my current specs?

Any help is much appreciated :)
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2600k temps
  1. sounds fine
  2. On the OCing question: it depends on what your settings will have to be to get the 4.5GHz stable. In general, the more voltage that you need, the higher the temps will be. So, you will most likely get to a point where your CPU could go higher, but your cooler won't be able to keep up. I am pushing 71'C if I run at 4.5GHz because of the voltage I need (1.352V). I wasn't fortunate enough to win the CPU lottery it seems.
  3. The cpu lottery is quite a disappoint. At least you were able to get 4.5GHZ. It's such a shame only 10% can break the 5.0 mark. I'm anxious to see what mine can do stable...
    Did you keep yours clocked to 4.5 with the 70 degrees? Or dropped it down due to the temperature?
  4. Well... I only just built and just got done seeing how far I could go on air cooling. The 70'C is only at 100% load and I don't push it to that often. I don't want to run at that temp for too long, but I have read that anything under like 72.5'C is within Intel's recommended temp range.

    Even so, I am still seriously thinking about water cooling. I am looking at either one of the Corsair factory sealed units (H100) or a true custom water cooling set up, more as a hobby than anything else. Setting up a nice water cooled cpu loop would be a great experience.
  5. Given you are reading this thread, I presume you also have a noctua. The thing with the corsairs, only the h100 runs cooler in the proper configuration and the H80 runs slightly warmer. From what I hear about self contained units for people upgrading from decent air coolers is that the price isn't usually worth the temperature gain. To get the full potential out of the H100 is to run the radiator with double push/pull configuration with also replacing the stock corsair fans. IMO do a custom. Cause to make the H100 really do some damage it will cost you.

    Getting back on track, any thoughts on my cpu temperatures running stock 2600k settings?
  6. temsiKx said:
    The question isn't regarding good or bad temperatures but I'm just looking for a few opinions with people that have similar rigs.
    As you read from the heading I'm running my 2600k with a noctua nh-d14 cpu cooler. I ran prime95 for 22hrs with 0 errors, crashes etc ON ALL STOCK SETTINGS. My idle is 30-35 degree celsius and my load (during prime95) is 50-55 celsius. The 5 degree discrepancy I believe is due to ambient fluctuations.

    Now the question is, are these reasonable temperatures given my cooler or should I expect more from it. I would like a couple quick response on whether or not I should reseat my cooler before I see what performance I can get out of my chip.

    P.S What is a reasonable temperature when OCing a 2600k to around 4.5 given my current specs?

    Any help is much appreciated :)


    First off, Why? Would you run Prime95 for 22hrs on 100% stock settings, even if it was a temperature test you would have discovered that in 20minutes running small FFTs?

    Prime95 is used to fine tune an overclock, there is no logical reason to run Prime95 for 22hrs on a stock setup.

    That said, a stock setup with all Intels features enabled, should be able to run Prime95 for the rest of your CPUs natural life in the desert, as the cpu is clocking down at it's hottest times and throttling back up when it cools, whether you realize it or not.

    So if you're reaching 50-55C on completely stock settings, what will your temps be at 4.5ghz?

    The answer to that depends on the overclocking route you take to reach 4.5ghz, and what you enable or disable to get there.

    Anyway you look at it, air cooling will be your limiting factor no matter the cooler you've chosen, so just how do you plan on overclocking to 4.5ghz?

    Have you studied any guides yet?
  7. Best answer
    4ryan6 makes excellent points with these statements.

    For comments surrounding LCS coolers...as you get closer to 4.5+, these coolers do not have any benefit over normal air coolers. You'll need a decent water cooling loop to help you keep temps under control with the voltages needed to reach those speeds. 70-80C+ is common the closer you get to 5ghz depending on the cooler and ambient temps (as well as air flow).
  8. The basis of my post was the get input on reasonable temperatures when using NH-D14 due to my concern on properly seating it on my chip. My P.S was just a last minute aside to get feedback on people with similar builds that use the noctua for cpu cooling to see what type of temperatures they achieve.

    JUST TO CLARIFY AGAIN! I am not looking for oc-ing guides, or ways to obtain sustainable 5.0. Just a few responses on cpu temps that involve people using the NH-D14. Before you flame me again mod, please, reread my question.

    Thanks for the input rubix. The noctua or equivalent h80 are both more than capable for cooling a 2600k at 4.5. I'm just curious what their load and idle temperatures are. I realize this is a very vague question with many variables but it still would be an interesting read!
  9. Quote:
    The basis of my post was the get input on reasonable temperatures when using NH-D14 due to my concern on properly seating it on my chip.


    Then pull the Noctua NH-D14, inspect the footprint, and re-install it.

    Use the least amount of thermal compound as you can for the best thermal conduction.

    Quote:
    Before you flame me again mod, please, reread my question.


    That comment was totally uncalled for!

    This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
  10. Best answer selected by 4ryan6.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Cooling Celsius Overclocking