Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD 1TB USB 3.0 Ext HD is broke recommend a new enclosure?

Last response: in Storage
May 3, 2011 4:01:38 PM

I have a 1 TB Western Digital External Hard Drive that is USB 3.0 / 2.0 compatible.
Somehow I broke the Usb port it just came out. I was bummed out and thought I had to buy a new one or something until someone told me I could put the hard drive in a new enclosure. However, I'm fairly new to taking technical items apart. I have gotten the case apart but I can't remove still some of the parts to the hard drive since it requires one of the small screwdrivers. Would anyone know what size screwdrivers I would need? Also what areas I need to remove? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY what is the best enclosure to use that is 3.0 compatible able to fit 3.5" hdd?

More about : 1tb usb ext broke recommend enclosure

Best solution

a c 316 G Storage
May 3, 2011 4:43:20 PM

The only things that you should disconnect to move the drive are the power cable and the data cable that connect the drive to the rest of the electronics, plus the screws that hold the drive in place if there are any (often, there are not).

If you are talking about removing parts attached to the hard drive, don't do that. It's a pretty good way to guarantee that your drive will never work again. (Yes, Member X, I know that you once swapped a drive board plus the config chip and it worked. But that is rare, and requires experience).

If you are talking about removing parts of the enclosure that convert from the USB interface to the SATA interface, don't bother. A new USB 3.0 enclosure will include those electronics, and the ones that you remove probably won't fit in the new case.

If you are talking about the (up to) four screws that attach the hard drive to one half of the case, they usually take a small Philips head screwdriver. Can you describe what the slot or recess looks like in the head of the screw? Straight line, cross, hexagonal hole, six rays radiating from a central circle?

For an enclosure, I have never used a USB 3.0, but with other interfaces I have had success with these brands:
3.5 inch drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2.5" drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . And the description says that the blue LED is "elegant!"
May 3, 2011 5:01:38 PM

thanks for the reply the recess looks like six rays radiating from a central core or hexagonal hole. I'm not at home right now so I'm not 100 percent but i do know it wasnt a simple line or cross.

The Hard Drive is removed from the enclosure case however there a few pieces of electronic chips attached that I would think is used to connect the usb to the hard drive. Should I removed that? I'm new to this and a lil bit technical savvy so I'm not an expert or anything at recognizing what each piece represent.
m
l
Related resources
a c 316 G Storage
May 3, 2011 5:22:36 PM

bsmoove386 said:
thanks for the reply the recess looks like six rays radiating from a central core or hexagonal hole. I'm not at home right now so I'm not 100 percent but i do know it wasnt a simple line or cross.

The Hard Drive is removed from the enclosure case however there a few pieces of electronic chips attached that I would think is used to connect the usb to the hard drive. Should I removed that? I'm new to this and a lil bit technical savvy so I'm not an expert or anything at recognizing what each piece represent.

Then you need a Torx wrench ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx ). On the other hand, these screws are more often used for parts that you should not remove.

Do you know that a hard drive has a circuit board on one side that is part of the hard drive and should not be removed except by either experienced persons or the adventurous? I hope that that is not what you are talking about. Maybe you should post a picture, using a pointer to indicate the part or screw that you propose to remove.
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:36:08 PM

Best answer selected by bsmoove386.
m
l
!