Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2009 6:58:16 PM

Need to play COD4 on a 3 year old system spec below

P4M800Pro m/b
512mb SDRAM
Intel P4 3 GHz
120 GB hard drive

no pci-e slot just agp

which graphics cards would be best suited to this system and still play Call of Duty 4

many thanks
john

More about : agp graphic card cod4

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2009 7:28:28 PM

I would go with this card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Uses low power (about 60 watts) it's quiet and runs cool. Make sure it will fit in your system. Alternate choices are

Make sure you download the proper drivers for these cards, since they're also available in PCIe x16 you can have a lot of trouble if you don't get the proper drivers.
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 19, 2009 7:30:17 PM

I would not advise upgrading that setup.
Several Via chipsets, have issues with ATI cards making the two incompatable and only ATI have any half decent AGP cards, Nvidia stopped supporting AGP several years ago.
I really think your best option is to either replace the whole box (keeping the monitor) or replace the MB/CPU/RAM/Powersupply (keeping the case, drives and monitor) and adding a PCI-E card of your choice.
Related resources
August 19, 2009 7:37:42 PM

hi

my system and my sons sytem are higher spec and run with ati 4870 and 4850 graphics cards with intel e7300 and e5400 cpu and play the games fine

but the system in question is not mine, its my nephews and he just bought cod4 yesterday and it will not play. he asked me to look at it and when i checked the spec of his pc it has on-board graphics and only a agp slot

replacing the pc or even upgrading is not an option

i hope to pick up a used agp card on ebay for very little $$$ the less the better

it is not worth spending a lot of $$$ on a graphic card for this pc so i need to get a cheap solution

just wondering what older agp cards will play cod4 ok and i really am looking at cards that can be bought on ebay for about $50 or less

any help / experiences will be greatly appreciated

thanks
john
August 19, 2009 7:46:11 PM

coozie7 said:
I would not advise upgrading that setup.
Several Via chipsets, have issues with ATI cards making the two incompatable and only ATI have any half decent AGP cards, Nvidia stopped supporting AGP several years ago.
I really think your best option is to either replace the whole box (keeping the monitor) or replace the MB/CPU/RAM/Powersupply (keeping the case, drives and monitor) and adding a PCI-E card of your choice.

hi coozie7

major upgrade or replacement is not an option

so you advise an nvidia card rather than ati - remember i will not be buying a newer card but the oldest, cheapest card that will play cod4 at a reasonable level

so i am hoping someone will be able to tell which card works best for least $$$

many thanks
john
August 19, 2009 8:25:45 PM

I would imagine a geforce 6800 or 7800 should play the game on low settings pretty well as long as your on a reasonably small resolution. (ie. 800x600 or 1024x768)

These are really old now and i would imagine arnt exspensive second hand.
August 19, 2009 8:27:01 PM

Minimum specs for COD4 say geforce 6600 and above although i would advise one step up from that maintain good framerates...so 6800 if you can find one cheap enough
!