Upgrade to GTX 275 now, or wait till I can do new build?

My current desktop is just over 2 years old now, and I'm considering doing an upgrade to extend it's current life as a gaming/general computer, or should I save the money and build a new system. This is my current setup:

Thermaltake 700W PSU
SUPER TALENT 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory
XFX PVT80FSHE9 GeForce 8800GTX Extreme 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card -
ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail

I'm just looking at doing a single card upgrade, and it seems the GTX 275 is a popular choice right now. My processor is pretty old and only a dual core too, but for gaming the 3.0GHz clock has held up pretty well.

I've been tweaking some builds for the past week, and a system I'd be happy with now prices out to around $1100 to get what I want out of an i7. If I just get the GTX 275 now, that's only $210 or so, a lot easier on the wallet, but with my system's age I don't know if I'll see too much improvement from the old 8800GTX?

It seems that new cards for ATI and NVIDIA are nearly here, but I probably would not benefit a whole lot with those unless I rebuild my system.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade wait till build
  1. If your E6850 is at 3.0GHz you could pick up your game with an easy OC to 3.6GHz

Depends on your HSF and Bios changes.
  2. It has a Zalman HSF on it, probably good enough for overclocking, but I'm not sure how stable I can get it with my Thermaltake PSU. I got it up to 3.4Ghz when this system was new, but I was having config issues and went back to stock speeds.
  3. If you are iching for that i7 rig I would look for inexpensive ways to make do with what you have and save for what you really want. That is why I suggested the OC.

What were your settings when you went to 3.4GHz?
  4. I don't really remember since it was a while back. I know I only bumped the voltages up slightly as I didn't want to risk what was pretty expensive hardware back then. This isn't so much of an issue now and I'm willing to be a bit more aggressive with it. I'll look for some specifics on getting an overclock on this 3.0 Conroe, might be able to find some hints. When I do get a stable overclock, would the upgrade to a GTX 275 be a good idea or should I stick with the 8800GTX?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product