Sign in with
Your question

Help - Graphic card - good performer, low power, low noise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2009 9:48:11 PM

Hi,

I've been running a BFG 8800GTS 640mb (g90) through a DELL 3008WFP 30" 2560 x 1600 dual dvi. My jobs digital arts, so i use photoshop a lot, and sometimes play games..

My problem is, firstly, the 8800 is running as hot as 80 - 86 when it's just idle, even high when the monitor is turned off...

The main problem is, the electricity bills since I've been using this setup are far more than before!

I have decided to downgrade the monitor to a dell 24" which pivots so I should be content with that however I am looking for a graphics card to replace this power hungry beast!

Is there anyone who knows much about low power consumption, quiet graphics cards?
I would ideally like something which is around the same performance as my current card, maybe a bit better if possible, though low temp / low power consumption would be great... also quiet, or compatible with the after market coolers which I am more than happy to have a go at installing!

I'm really not great with PC tech, and after a lot of looking around at whats on the market, I still really dont know..... I heard the GTS 250 is supposed to use less power then previous models but then other people are saying they have had to upgrade their PSUs above 600w to handle it? I am clueless :( 

Thanks a thousand times if you can give me some advice on what is best to look at here!

- budget £40-100
pc spec, core2duo 2.4, 4gig
games - no crysis here! maybe the new AION mmo if anything at all

- Greg
August 19, 2009 10:24:09 PM

I think theres a new(ish) low power 9600GT - roughly similar (maybe a little bit less) performance but i think only uses in the region of 60-80watts on load.
August 19, 2009 11:30:42 PM

Sounds about right. Check out on-line retailers. I've had very good luck with NewEgg. But make sure that you read the Specs to make sure that it fits your system. But, it appears for what you are doing, the 9600GT low-power card would be the way to go.
!