Performance for the Paranoid

smitchell360

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
So, I have read a few threads and do not see my exact question addressed...and wonder if anyone can help.

I plan to configure 2 SSDs in RAID 0 for OS and apps and 3 plain old drives in RAID 5 for data. Even plan to back up the SSDs to the RAID5 array.

1. Can I do this on the intel RAID controller ... have two separate arrays with different levels?

2. Am I a bone-head for using this config?

^+1

Make sure you have a good backup strategy first. Once you've got that covered you can start thinking about using RAID.

The purpose of backups is to protect your data from loss from ALL causes, including those that RAID isn't effective against (such as theft of your system). The purpose of RAID is to eliminate downtime due to disk failure.

Before I weight in my opinion, what are the sizes of the "3 plain old drives in RAID 5 for data" you will be using?

If they are large enough, you could/should do RAID 0 for OS, RAID 0 for data, and one stand alone for backups. Yes 5 drives, 2 arrays, and one in RAID but not part of an array. This is possible!

As many will tell you, RAID 1 or 5 is not a viable backup option! External is best, but we all don't have that option.