Random (evil) Network Reset

georgencopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Start the Windows XP (SP1) box up, d-link wireless card finds d-link router and automatically connects to network.

WHAT HAPPENS
Surf two pages in IE (or Mozilla), or attempt to download anything (new virus definitions), and TCP/IP settings get changed to: 169.254.35.49, cutting my connection. Manually changing the settings back doesn't seem to help--only a full restart will replace the 169 address with a 198 address.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR
I have no idea where this 169 address is coming from. I thought it might be spyware (my son had downloaded tons of spyware-plagued crap) and ran spybot, which found and fixed many problems but not this one. I also installed browser hijack blaster and ran it while I surfed to see if it would catch the reset. It didn't. I've run my anti-virus software, but it doesn't have the latest virus definitions on it because I can't download them due to this resetting problem, and I can't run trend micro because the network connection gets reset before it can finish scanning. Switching from IE to Mozilla didn't work either.

I have two other wireless boxes that work fine so I don't think I'm picking someone else's wireless signal.

Any ideas?

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
The 169.254 Subent is for Automatic Private IP Adressing, which is used when your comptuer can't contact the DHCP server.

Try setting a static IP, and see if you continue to have connection problems(As that's what it sounds like)