Pro's and Con's of this hard drive are??

Solution
The VelociRaptor is a good solution. SCSI, SSD and hybrids aside it's the fastest consumer hard drive. Obviously can be a little bit more noisy because they are 10K but the 2.5 form factor might be useful to you if you are looking to use large numbers of drives.

I can't really understand their motivation use 8 drives for suicide raid and a single drive for a backup. Surely they'd be better using something like RAID 10? I.e. have 4 drives in the first RAID 0 then mirror that with a secondary 4 drives in RAID 0. Then if they really wanted they could have the 9th drive as a backup of that.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Ok but you would be spending £583.84 - £656.82 on all those drives. That is kinda expensive in itself.

I'm assuming that you are looking for 8 or 9 for increased performance then.

Whilst that's a really awesome motherboard I don't think the raid controller on it will scale as well as you think for this number of drives. Also from what I can see the drives would be across different storage controllers and I'm not sure you can build a raid array this way?

jfs123

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
the raid i will be using is http://www.scan.co.uk/products/highpoint-rocketraid-2320(rr2320)-8-channel-internal-pci-e-x4-to-sata-ii-raid-controller(card) and its for my company and it can go up to £900 but they want 8 hard drives linked to this raid and 1 for back up

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The VelociRaptor is a good solution. SCSI, SSD and hybrids aside it's the fastest consumer hard drive. Obviously can be a little bit more noisy because they are 10K but the 2.5 form factor might be useful to you if you are looking to use large numbers of drives.

I can't really understand their motivation use 8 drives for suicide raid and a single drive for a backup. Surely they'd be better using something like RAID 10? I.e. have 4 drives in the first RAID 0 then mirror that with a secondary 4 drives in RAID 0. Then if they really wanted they could have the 9th drive as a backup of that.

Solution