Windows Task Manager and Upgrading Memory Questions

remixate

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi, I've been interested in upgrading the performance on my computer. I've read from a lot of sources that adding more RAM modules to your PC is one of the best ways. I'm not "totally" stupid =) so I understand that once an application wants to request more virtual memory and there is no more physical memory available it resorts to using some hard drive space as an alternative (I think this is correct; wouldn't bet my life on it though).

Now I have 2GB RAM in my PC currently and I was thinking about increasing that to 4GB and beyond. The thing is though, would I get any improvements whatsoever from more RAM when my applications currently don't even totally use my 2GB installed?

Is my unused RAM (application requests) actually used for something (caching maybe?) I don't know about? Please don't turn this into a "remember 32bit limitation" thread.

As for my questions about Windows Task Manager the only thing I really understand for sure is "Physical Memory (K) Total: RAMINSTALLED". What does the system cache mean? Is Kernel Memory Total derived from the Physical Memory Total? What is Commit Charge?

Lastly, what does PF Usage mean?
I have disabled the Page File in the past and I still had a number from the PF Usage bar graph.

Any tutorials, references, or information would be GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to provide more difficult technical articles as well. I love learning =D

Thanks,
Joshua

Solution
no the PF is different PF is virtual memory where if there isn't enough RAM the comp will take space from the HDD

but all computers will automatically do it even if all the RAM isn't used

remixate

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

That's what I thought but if that's so then what is the PF in my picture stand for?