Sign in with
Your question

1k i7 Gaming PC build over budget need to lower the price a bit.

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2009 9:59:33 PM

This is my first time building a pc and i have rebuilt lots, so this time i wanted to just do a build from the ground up. i have put a list together and would love to get it around $900 to $1,000. But im a bit over. I was hoping to get some help at getting the price down so i can use my other 500 for a monitor and other things. I was going to use a table set up to show all the info in but i cant find where a table tag will work on the board. Also i dont need the case i listed or a dvd drive as i have both already. Just listing those so others can see the full build and the case theme with the power supply. I also have 5 led fans in the case along with 2 blue lights. the reason im having a hard time getting the price down is because i really like the mother board. But if anyone has any suggestions or if they think something doesn't fit in just let me know.

something not included in the 1k price is a nice monitor $500 max anyone have any sugestions on this.

I mostly use the pc for gaming and lots of downloading multi task alot.

thank in advance

$1,000 System Components im over please help hehe.

-CPU
Intel Core i7 920 $279.99 tiger direct

-CPU Cooler
retail CPU cooler $0

-Motherboard
Asus Rampage II Extreme $354.99 zipzoomfly

-RAM
Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)
$98.99 zipzoomfly

-Graphics
XFX GeForce GTX 260 Video Card $189.99 tiger direct

-Hard Drives
Western Digital WD7500AADS Caviar Green 750GB, SATA-3G, 32MB, Intellipower $69.99 tiger direct

-Sound
supremefx x-fi audio card
"Included with board" $0

-Network
Integrated Gigabit Networking $0

-Case
Sunbeam 9 Bay Acrylic Case - UV Blue **$74.99 xoxide

-Power
Apevia / Iceberg / 680-Watt / ATX $99.99 tiger direct

-Optical
LG GH22LS50 22X SATA DVD Burner
$24.99 zipzoomfly

Total Price

with out case and dvd drive total is 1093.94 for my build.
with case and dvd total is 1193.92 for others to see
July 30, 2009 10:11:52 PM

Any particular reason for that board? Its way too expensive if you want a $1000 i7 build, any reason why you didnt pick a P6T or another cheaper board?
July 30, 2009 10:15:19 PM

Drop that board and go with P6T like hunter said. That board is way overpriced if your looking at a budget pc.
Related resources
July 30, 2009 10:19:03 PM

well i was wanting a good board to overclock nicely and be able to expand good later. but seems like this one had better over clocking but like i said first time really building one up and looking into everything in detail there is still alot i dont know about other items. i will pull that one up and look at it.
July 30, 2009 10:27:16 PM

You need an aftermarket cooler to overclock, and cheaper i7 motherboards are just fine for doing so. Tom's recently did an article about budget i7 motherboards - one of them would be ideal for you.
July 30, 2009 10:30:07 PM

Ummm DO NOT buy an Apevia PSU. Get a Corsair, Seasonic, or PC P&C. I suggest the Corsair 750TX or 650TX, same price from Newegg, and not likely to die and kill your pc too :)  Get the Asus P6T as said above. Or use short's combo, can't go wrong either way I see it. If you drop some of the price off the motherboard you may be able to get a GTX275 in budget.

As for the monitor: If you get a GTX260 or HD4870, get a 22" with 1680x1050 resolution
If you get a GTX275 or HD4890 get a 24" 1920x1080/1900x1200 resolution

That way you won't get a monitor you can't fully use the resolution for and you won't overpower for the size either.
July 30, 2009 10:53:37 PM

Thanks for the monitor info.

and thats what i like about asking around out there because you get new ideas and thoughts to play with hehe now i got to look into some moving around. going to check out some of the stuff..

o the reason i liked the psu was because of the clear top in my clear case. But would be happy with anything with some led to it. But things for the tip to watch out for the psu.

one thing i was wondering about the motherboard now is would i be needing a new one sooner with one of the cheaper boards that you have mentioned. or would the cost of the rampage be good for holding up longer for futur upgrades. Hope that made since lol..
July 30, 2009 11:15:18 PM

One other thing i forgot to ask is with me downloading alot of stuff all the time is there a board that would give me better proformence than another. My internet at home can download at 6mb sec. if that helps in any way
July 30, 2009 11:20:03 PM

The motherboard won't affect the download speed at all.
July 30, 2009 11:41:43 PM

One of the $200 motherboards reviewed will do just fine, and overclock as high as you need(about 3.0).

Get an after market cooler up front. The Xigmatek dark night is good and reasonably priced:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is a pain to add one later, and it makes your pc run cooler and quieter; easier to overclock.

The case you picked does not look like it has very good cooling. Depending on side fans may not work out well.
Antec 300 is a good case with excellent cooling for $59.95 with free shipping:
cases are heavy, and can cost $20+ to ship. No "bling" though.

Apevia is a tier 5(not recommended) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
A PSU is the last thing to economize on, particularly if you are inexperienced in diagnosing strange problems.

Get a corsair unit like the 550VX for $72.99 after rebate:
It will power any single card up to a GTX285.
Actually for $7 more you can get the 650TX which could power a GTX295:

You will need an OS. You can download and use windows-7 for free until next summer. Or, if you are a student, you can look for discounted academic pricing on vista now.

Do not skimp on the monitor. The bigger the better. It will be a part of your pc for several generations of cpu.
Look for a 1920x1200 resolution and a screen size of 24" or better. You can always lower the resolution or eye candy, but you can't increase it. For multitasking, you want lots of display acerage. Samsung makes good monitors. You can also check out DELL.

July 30, 2009 11:57:37 PM

thanks geofelt for the tips and the case i got has 4 120mm fans and 1 80mm fan.

2 side 1 back and front for the 120mm and on top there is the 80mm i got 2 extra fans with it. do you still think it is ok or should i replace it. the one on top and front i have for blowing air in and the other 3 for out. or i can change that up if something sounds better.
July 31, 2009 12:03:22 AM

dustyy said:
thanks geofelt for the tips and the case i got has 4 120mm fans and 1 80mm fan.

2 side 1 back and front for the 120mm and on top there is the 80mm i got 2 extra fans with it. do you still think it is ok or should i replace it. the one on top and front i have for blowing air in and the other 3 for out. or i can change that up if something sounds better.

I think the front and sides should be intake fans, and the top and rear should be output fans. Heat rises, and that is the natural flow of things.
You may want to experiment with turning off the side fans, since it tends to disrupt the natural flow. Check your temps both ways.
July 31, 2009 12:16:26 AM

cool you know i didn't think about that until you said it heat rise's lol.. that will tech you not to work and try to figure out a pc build lol.. thank again.. still catching up on some of the reading that toms posted.
July 31, 2009 3:04:30 AM

something just came to mind while looking at some video cards is the crysis 2 is coming out soon does anyone know what it will require yet or if i should try to shoot for a gtx 275 card or higher?
July 31, 2009 8:31:12 AM

Yes, a GTX 275 would be your best bet. I would recommend buying Evga to qualify for a potential step-up.

Other people more familiar with ATi might recommend a HD 4870 or 4890. I'd wait for input of that before you make any decision on your graphics processing unit.
July 31, 2009 11:43:11 AM

I recommend this hard drive: WD Caviar Black 640gb

It's 640gb compared to your 750gb one, but it should be quite a bit faster. The WD Green series is focused on lowering power consumption at the cost of performance.
July 31, 2009 2:44:54 PM

samskeyti said:
I recommend this hard drive: WD Caviar Black 640gb

It's 640gb compared to your 750gb one, but it should be quite a bit faster. The WD Green series is focused on lowering power consumption at the cost of performance.

+1
July 31, 2009 6:03:45 PM

Thanks for that bit of info think i will switch that one around.

i think i got a new good layout i will try to post a updated version later on once i get some free time. thanks for everyones input. keep it coming if someone left out anything.
August 1, 2009 4:44:00 AM

has anyone ever ordered from neweggs open box section or should i trust ordering from that section. i can return it with'n 30 days if it doesnt work. but im scared to try it. i could save some money on some things and get a better video card for my build if i tryed it
August 1, 2009 5:36:51 AM

nah dont have one close but i might be able to get a relitive to pick one up for me i will have to look into that. hmm
August 2, 2009 4:46:56 AM

ok so i have saved some cash and got a opening of about 230 for a video card now. i was thinking gtx 275. its seems the best bang for my buck. any thoughts. and any thoughts on the open box section. i think i might stay away from it because i only have 30 days to return something if it mess's up. but open to thoughts on it.

thanks rockyjohn on that proccesser i have a reunion coming up this week and my uncle lives next to a micro center and is picking one up for me when he comes in. that worked out great lol.. so saved a good 80 there. well some tax's might make me save about 65 or so but still a good saving's.
!