AMD Athlon Dual-Core 3800+ overclock limit

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hi everybody,

I got an AMD Athlon Dual-Core 3800+ at home which is currently overclocked at 2.6 ghz. It has been like that for 6 months I think, and I never had problems with it. However, it is outdated today even if overclocked. Before buying a new CPU (and a new motherboard, because I would plan to go on 4 or 6 cores processor), I'd like to push my current processor to its limits, because I probably won't use it after buying a new one, and I won't sell it either, it won't be worth the deal. I'd like to go up to 3.0 ghz. The processor nornal setting is 2.0 ghz, so is overclocking it to 3,0 a bit extreme ?

I also plan to buy a good video card, 1 GB DDR3 or something to that, because my 256MB DDR3 card (geforce 7600gt) no longer meets the requirements of today's games (or meets the very minimum reqired). I know that RAM is linked to CPU overclocking (or I've been told so), does it affects the video card too? I don't think, but just to be sure...

Thanks for you help, guys!

P.S. - I've been told too that it is better to have good quality ram (1200, or around that number) to overclock. I overclocked my CPU with kingston 800 and never had problems. Can I overclock more with that kind of RAM? I don't care about ruining my ram, I got pretty cheap prices for 3-4 gigs of good DDR3 ram, and just like my current processor, I don't plan using/selling it later. Thanks again!

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

With my setup I have 4gig DDR3 @1066. I HAVE to set it to manual and drop it to 800 to get my overclock stable to be able to post and boot up to Windows. You might be able to push that processor a bit more than it is, but then again you probably won't notice much difference. It'll either boot up or it won't. If you're looking for a x4 or x6 board, try and get something that has a x6 capability so you can keep it around longer. x4 probably will be the norm soon as everything is moving so fast. If you go with Biostar, try and get a T Series board as those are accepted by Biostar as an overclocking board. Whatever board/company you decide on, try and make sure the manufacturer truly supports overclocking with it. (tips I wish I knew once upon a time).

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Alright, thanks a lot for the answer and the tips! I'll try to get a x6 board too if I can, however I'll try to get a good motherboard too for overclocking,as you said.

I've already pushed it a little bit more to 2.8 ghz and it still runs fine, even with tests (superPI 32M). If I can reach 3.0 ghz, and then I'll test with a benchmark program to truly test if it is stable. If it is not, then I'll either just go back to something lower and test it again, or desynchronize the memory RAM. I'm still VERY surprised that I never had to do it, a lot of people say they have to do that in order to overclock, but that never limited me.

It may goes out of the topic, but I got another question. As I said, my memory must surely be overclocked with my processors right now, so would it be better to just desynchronize it to something lower (for safety) ? Concerning the VCore, I left the control on automatic, but I never stopped watching it, and so far it never went over 1.43v(1.40v-1.43v). My computer ran with automatic settings for 6 months (and maybe more) with automatic settings and I never had the smallest problem, but now that I'm going higher, I'm wondering if I should do some changes.

Thanks for the answers!

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Nevermind about the RAM memory clock. I'm currently stuck at 2.8 ghz, can't go higher or I won't boot properly, and setting the RAM clock to a lower level for a jump from 2.8 ghz to 3.0 ghz isn't worth it. I don't think I got any question about this right now.

I've done SuperPI 32M test and successfully passed it at 2.8 ghz. Now I want to do the same with a benchmark program (don't rememebr its name) and if it goes well, I shall stay at 2.8 ghz. If anybody see something that I should modify in my current configuration, thanks for telling me.

Thanks again Bobcharlie for the help!