Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Late Model "How-To" Guide

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2009 10:43:41 PM

Just a silly question, as I haven't built in three years now: is there a good online build guide someone can recommend? All the good hardware sites have recent articles detailing what parts they'd put into a late-model build, but no step by steps. (Even the RAM primer in this forum hasn't been updated for DDR3!)

I'll be in these forums with specific questions, I'm sure, but I really don't want to trust my i7 to "ehow" or some 90's era build guide.

Thanks!

More about : late model guide

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2009 10:53:22 PM

The truth is that not much has changed . Computers are still modular , they still plug together .

But I havent found a recent how to using modern components and it would be very useful for first time builders .
I went loking for one not long ago and could even find one that showed a SATA hard drive
Maybe someone else has had better luck , because it would be great to be able to refer first timers to a useful up to date site
m
l
July 30, 2009 10:59:34 PM

Thanks. I know not much has changed, but I just wanted something to check if I was missing anything.

Next I'll be looking for a basic OC guide, since I haven't done that since my Pentium 2 400MHz machine back in the late nineties...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2009 1:25:33 AM

for OCing there are guides on this site .
Look in the cpu section of the messageboard . There is a lot of good advice

With the help of google I just found
http://www.buildacomputerguide.com/

the guide at the bottom of the page isnt completely up to date , but the bits I have read so far are well written and very sensible
July 31, 2009 3:09:30 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll be placing my order today, and will be back here soon!
m
l
!