Sign in with
Your question

RAID 1+0 Larger than 2TB

Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2011 5:21:29 PM

Hello,

Here is the setup I have. Dell Poweredge 2900 with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprises with a Perc 5/i controller. I have read through the forums and not found one that answers my question. For my OS I have VD 0(? The first VD) with 2 x 73 GB SAS drives in RAID 1 with a 3rd 73 GB SAS drive as a hot swap. I have 4 x 2 TB SATA drives in RAID 10 or 1+0 with a 5th 2 TB SATA drive as a hot swap. Once I initialize in the controller setup it becomes Disk 2, VD 1 (or close to- I am not at the server at the moment). The RAID drives are: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

After reboot I go to computer management and it immediately asks me to initialize the disk. Of course the two options are MBR and GPT. The first time I chose GPT and it gave me just shy of 4 TB of usable space. The problem I am running into is I have another 1.5 TB data drive that I am trying to migrate/copy to the new GPT partition of 3.76 TB. When I do the standard copy and paste feature it only copies over 128 GB. Also when I try to use Acronis Migrate Easy it wants to delete the partitions and then only allots for the 1.357 TB from old drive with 662 GB of unallocated space after. Essentially only using 2 TB of Free drive space.

I did notice when I selected the option to use MBR it gave two partitions: 2 TB and 1.76 TB, thus equaling roughly the overall availability. Of course those numbers preceeding are rough estimates.

Am I doing something wrong with the GPT or should I be using the 2 partition with MBR.

Regards,

Chris - Top Tier Computer Services

More about : raid larger 2tb

!