Sign in with
Your question

Advice for first SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2011 6:03:07 PM

Hey guys -

I am planning on buying a solid state drive for my current (and plans to build new rig) system. I use my system mostly for gaming.

The SSD would be for the operative system and maybe a couple games.

From my initial search I was thinking about a couple of these drives but I am not sure which would really be better. Any advice? My budget is probably sub 175 ish.

Crucial RealSSD C300 64 gig vs OCZ Vertex 2 80 gig vs OCZ Technology Agility 2 Series 90 GB SATA II.

Thoughts or any other drivs I should consider?

Thanks

More about : advice ssd

a c 303 G Storage
May 4, 2011 6:20:59 PM

Just about any solid state drive woiuld be a vast improvement over hard disk drives.

Is your motherboard SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable or just SATA II (3 Gb/s) capable?

Here is a link to useful information which might help you make a decision:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
May 4, 2011 6:21:20 PM

OOPS! Duplicate entry. Internet Explorer is not playing nice! :( 
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 7:59:03 PM

Right now I have SATA II, but when I build my new rig I guess I would go Sata III?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2011 8:07:06 PM

Crucial drives get far better ratings than OCZ drives, but IMO 64GB is not enough.

I would research the reliability of those OCZ drives before buying, or at least buy from somewhere with good support, someone that won't make you immediately send it back to the manufacturer for replacement.
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:19:21 PM

Hey,

Don't buy anything smaller that 100 or 120. I have a 64 and it only has enough space for 2 games and nothing else. I use Steam, which will not allow you to place games onto other drivers. I am currently saving to replace my 64 with a larger drive.

Oh yeah, by the way I love my SSD drive. I would never go back to a standard drive. So much quicker.
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
May 4, 2011 8:20:04 PM

If you are planning to purchase a motherboard with SATA III (6 Gb/s) capability, then it would be appropriate to purchase a solid state drive with SATA III (6 Gb/s) capability. If you purchase a SATA III (6 Gb/s) ssd now it will work quite well when connected to a SATA II (3 Gb/s) port on your current motherboard. No problem.

If I could only choose one of the 3 ssd's you listed, then I would purchase the Crucial C300. However, it would be a 80GB drive. The extra capacity will come in handy.
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:40:13 PM

Thanks for the advice so far.

I only listed those 3 since thats what my initial research suggested, if people have other suggestions for drives I would be more than willing listen.

My budget is probably <$200. I live in Los Angeles, so free shipping/tax for amazon.com.

Thanks
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 4, 2011 9:24:47 PM

For the diff in performance between the C300 and a SF1200 SataII SSD, I'd go for the Size. You will not see a big diff in performace on a day-to-day basis, But with more space, you can put more on it. @ same size, yes C300 (Not a lover of the C300).
A 100 Gig SFxxx SSD, Be it Sata II or Sata III, is going to be a better choice than a 64 Gig Sata III
Not my choice in brand, but 100 gigs right @ $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or 120 Gigs @ $203 - May be slower, but almost 2x a 64 gig drive, and as I indicated, Not a BIG diff in day-to-day performance. Remember whats NOT on the SSD will so NO benefit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
May 4, 2011 10:07:38 PM

There is one other option. If it is going to be a while before you purchase a new motherboard you may want to delay purchasing a new ssd. We've had quite a few new ssd's introduced recently. We are now approaching the Summer lull. We know that another batch of new ssd's will be introduced in the Fall in time for the winter holidays. If you can wait you could do one of two things. First you might be able to purchase an existing ssd for less. Second you might be able to purchase a brand new ssd with a few more features or improvements.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
May 4, 2011 11:33:49 PM

^5 +1... on what JohnnyLucky said...

If buying now, I agree with Crucial & larger compacity recommendations, as well. I went from a 80GB SSD drive to a 240GB SSD and couldn't be happier.
m
l
May 5, 2011 2:08:34 AM

zohair said:
Thanks for the advice so far.

I only listed those 3 since thats what my initial research suggested, if people have other suggestions for drives I would be more than willing listen.

My budget is probably <$200. I live in Los Angeles, so free shipping/tax for amazon.com.

Thanks

I too live in L.A. (neighbor), and got my C300 120GB from Amazon for $199.

By the way, I was in Fry's yesterday and they have a new internet price-matching policy. It doesn't help with the almost 10% sales tax, but it may come in handy.

Not all websites are covered, they have to be manufacturer authorized, but I think Amazon and Newegg are for most computer related things.
m
l
!