Hi guys, first of all I would like to start with my actual config :

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2,8 GHz
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
G.SKILL DDR3 2x4 GB 1066 MHz CL7
XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply
Thermaltake Element G Black ATX Mid Tower

As of late, my stock CPU fan (the one over the heatsink) started to be noisy. Same for the rear case fan. What i'd like to do is first buy a new rear case fan which is 140 mm. My first choice was Noctua NF-P14 FLX that I can get for 25$. There is other option, but i'm not sure about the other brands. I'd like it if you could point me out some good quiet fan.

My other concern is about either replacing the whole heatsink unit or only replacing the 70mm fan. I'm not sure if AMD stock heatsinks are good, but I heard that Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus is a pretty good unit and at 29$ a piece, it is a pretty afrodable solution.

As for OCing, I'm not familiar at all with it. My CPU is currently overclocked at 3,2 GHz but it is only because of the turbo key switch that is on the MOBO. This switch is overclocking automatically the CPU. Also, I have the Turbo V software that came with the mobo which seems pretty easy to use as far as OCing goes.
I'd like it if you could tell me which part of my system I should overclock. I feel like I have a pretty decent setup and i'd like to get the most out of it. And by the way, last time I check, CPU was at 44 C

So to sum it up.....

1. Is the rear case fan really importan ? Should I choose a cheaper option ?
2. Stock cooling enough for OCing ? Should I go with the Hyper 212 instead of replacing the stock fan?
3. Which part of my system should I OC ?

Thanks for your help guys

P.S.: I'm french so English is not my native language ! :S

Solution
Yes the rear case fan IS important but you don't need an expensive rear case fan. Obviously you also want a front fan drawing the cool air into the case. Stock HSF cooling isn't good for OC'ing. The Hyper 212+ is a favorite, quite affordable, quieter and much more efficient than the OE HSF.

BTW - Your English is far better than my French and I studied French in school for three years... :??:

See the Phenom II OC tutorial link below for step-by-step OC'ing instructions and valuable information.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

beenthere

Distinguished
Yes the rear case fan IS important but you don't need an expensive rear case fan. Obviously you also want a front fan drawing the cool air into the case. Stock HSF cooling isn't good for OC'ing. The Hyper 212+ is a favorite, quite affordable, quieter and much more efficient than the OE HSF.

BTW - Your English is far better than my French and I studied French in school for three years... :??:

See the Phenom II OC tutorial link below for step-by-step OC'ing instructions and valuable information.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Solution

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Thanks A LOT for these infos man !! My case already has 3 air intakes. One on the top, one on the front and one on the side. I think they are 160mm, 200mm and 160 mm respectively... So I'm okay as far as intake goes.

Do you you have any brand/model suggestions for rear case fans that would be quiet with the hyper 212 + ?? My case can fit a 120 or a 140 mm fan !