MSI,SLI, NF750 and PHYSX

Mugen-G

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hello! just registered been around for a while.

Here is the deal, i want to upgrade to AM3 DDR3 while giving SLI a shot on the CHEAP...yes you heard right.

so i'm leaning towards the $99 MSI NF750-G55 for my phenom II 720
Plus i got a 8800 GTX kicking around somewhere + some OCZR DDR3 1600

I don't go for crazy overclocks just moderate #'s on air.
You can see where i'm going with this, the MSI board has an 8300 IGP for hybrid sli.
Can the IGP be used for dedicated physx while my 8800 handles 3D?
can the IGP even use physx?
I run HDMI but my 8800gtx does not, could i use the MOBO's onboard HDMI as my main video/audio out in SLI mode?

I'm new to PC's in general and know little about chipsets, i know most AM3 boards are sporting 790, what are some of the cons of this MOBO and its chipset?(besides being MSI lol )

appreciated.

MSI make some very decent boards, so no worries there. To answer your first question, It should be possible to offload PhysX to the IGP since it's an NVidia board, BUT I doubt whether you can do this at the same time as running hybrid SLI. So few games use PhysX anyway that I don't really see the benefit of doing this. Rather go for the hybrid SLI option, if it works.

Mugen-G

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah I know, it's just that i caught the physx bug watching a video of mirror's edge with physx on...lol

Its a shame so little is known about hybrid sli, but i have been reading more about physx and have heard that anything below a 8800 can't really handle itself as a dedicated physx card.

my primary card right now is a 1GB 4870 so it would make better sense to pick up an Asus M4A79XTD with crossfire and use the 8800 + the patch for physx then maybe get a second 4870.

Thanks for the response, thought it would still be nice to get some info on the other questions.