ArtificialDream

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hello guys, I'd like to ask what's your opinion with this board:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=exJL00uovTJaDqxR&templete=2

First off,I'm not really knowledgeable with mobos, with that, I am inclined to buy this board but I don't really know what're its downsides. I preferred this because:

1. it's cheap
2. am3/ddr3
3. i won't be crossfiring
4. 2 ram slots are fine w/ me
5. TDP's compatible with x2 550 phenom II

would this board be fine or should I choose other boards? i'm planning to get x2 550 + hd 5770 + 2x2gb ddr3. i could go for other boards but i chose this cause i think with what i'd save with this mobo could bump up other parts of my planned pc.

crossfirekid

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
hi there

ive had dozens of asus boards,zero failures,ive always tried to get the best board i can buy with the money alloted.you might not want the extra ram now,but later you might need it for graphical projects,gaming or whatever.if your only planning on a short term use then resell and upgrade,it may be a good decision or if you'll truly be satisfied with it.im positive the board will work perfectly,as long as your satisfied.also if its a budget thing it should also be a wonderful board,its asus!

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Not 'cause you have only one PCIe slot. Because the built in ATI 3200 is junk for gaming. And even when using a 3470 or something in Hybrid CFire simply inst enough for playing even something like Rainbow Six: Vegas at high detail, forget PC killers like Crysis. Enough for everything else, but seriously falls short in gaming. Got me barely 5 fps in Crysis @ Medium, DX10, no AA/AF. Had to wait a day before I could install my 4870 since I forgot to buy a DVI-VGA adaptor. In short, a good, reliable board, but without any significant GPU muscle.
EDIT: Noticed you are going to use a 5770. Then no probs, take it.
EDIT2 : Also noticed you are going for a dual. My advice: Take an Athlon X3 or an Athlon X4, and overclock the bejesus out of it. Tom's analyses show that the lack of L3 causes a negligible performance drop, and the Athon II's are as fast as a similarly clocked Phenom II. You can do some really freakish multi tasking with a quad.....I remember having to copy 53 gigs of data from an external HDD....ran GTAIV while copying....didn't even flinch. The same exercise on my friends C2D Q8400 would have immediately caused a complete system freeze up, if not a BSOD.

ArtificialDream

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
um, what am i exactly looking for for unlocking an extra core? ACC? and won't they be the same (that MSI and asus' m4A78LT) since they're both SB710? or can't my aforementioned board unlock an extra core?

EDIT: apparently, sb710 could unlock cores. sadly, this board has a TDP of 95W, same as x3 720. means it would be risky to OC it. :(

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Solution