Computer locks up viewing/editing hi-def videos with new Intel i5 CPU

jkim

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I just got the Intel i5 CPU and a full-sized Gigabyte mobo. It replaced an older AMD Phenom. I had no problems watching or editing high definition videos before switching over to the new Intel cpu and board.

Now when I try anything with hi-def, the computer locks up and I have to do a re-boot.

I have a few questions.

I have a good name brand 600 psu. It had just the 2x2 molex for the power supply connector for the mobo, which has the 2x4 molex. I can connect the 2x2 in part of the mobo power supply connector. I tried that and no difference. I then got a 2x2 to 2x4 adapter for the motherboard but still no difference.

So, I am thinking about buying a newer 700 watt psu which has the 2x4 molex plug for the mobo power connector. Will that make a difference?

What makes it worse is that before switching to the Intel i5, I first moved to the Intel E8200, which worked fine. The Intel i5 is a much faster processor, plus it is quad core, unlike the E8200, a dual core. BTW, having a quad core is nice.

I can't find anything anywhere that says anything is wrong with the i5. Would there really be a different switching from the E8200 to the i5, which really is a much slower processor.

Any input would be appreciated.

Did you just change the processor and the mobo and put on the old OS you were using?
I mean to ask was it just a hardware swap and not a clean setup of the os on the new hardware?
I think iI had the same problem shifting back from my X4 620 to my X2 4400+ it did jam up a few times plus a noticeable bootup time change 'cos I didn't clean setup the os once I changed back and forth.....
But from the feeling I have is that it'll take a few boots and a little time for it to get back to normal try uninstalling and reinstalling the video codecs and filters you use..... that way the new archietecture of the chip functions better.....
Esp. the HD filters and the AC3 filters need to be reinstalled.....
Plus try the player uninstall and reinstall....
Let me know if it helps

TRENDING THREADS