Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive Problem

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2011 5:03:42 AM

I have an old Maxtor External HDD that holds roughly 250GB, maybe a little more, not sure. Anyway, I tried to plug it in via USB, but it doesn't read, all it does is make this clicking sound. Is my external HDD dead? I would hope not since I have a lot of information on it.

Please help,

Destroysall
a c 379 G Storage
May 5, 2011 11:59:48 AM

Maxtor is owned by seagate. Have you tried any of the seatools? I'd start by using their diagnostic software.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name...

If non of that works, you can try removing the drive from the enclosure and connecting it directly to your motherboard and see if it works that way. At the very least you may be able to copy data off of it.
m
l
May 12, 2011 12:12:27 AM

I figured out the problem. Did some quick research and found out the drive only works on 32-bit Operating Systems, so I was able to hook up the Maxtor to my old PC and it all worked. I then copied all the data onto the internal hard drive. Now I do have a question, the drive is a SATA drive, if I throw that into an External Enclosure, could I then use it on my current PC?
m
l
Related resources
a c 379 G Storage
May 12, 2011 4:37:44 AM

I don't think i've ever seen a drive that works on 32 bit OS's only. They should all be using the ATA protocol. That said, a SATA drive in an enclosure should work fine.
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:11:08 AM

It's not the actual hard drive that doesn't work. It's the enclosure. I have an old Buslink enclosure that will not work with Vista or Windows 7.

I would follow Hawk's advice and just "install" the drive in your current machine to copy the data. It's not worth fussing with a finicky enclosure.
m
l
!