Sign in with
Your question

Want to upgrade to SSD. suggestions?

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2011 9:02:28 AM

hi, as the title states it i plan to upgrade to an ssd from a samsung F3 500GB for the first time on my 1 year old custom pc since i feel it running slower on startup and browsing. Any suggestions on brands or sizes of ssd. I want to keep the price below 200. I actually only want to put my OS which is 64-bit Win7 ultimate and a few programs on it like browsing, etc. Also if i do upgrade how should i go about it, maybe say just do a new clean setup of OS on it and then add everything else or so. Not too sure would appreciate guides or links. My mobo is a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO with AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE. Thanks i appreciate it.
a c 292 G Storage
May 5, 2011 1:45:09 PM

You are absolutely right; a clean re-install will be needed. In fact, you will have to disconnect your current HDD when doing the install.

Tecmo34 wrote a nice guide to the care and feeding of an SSD: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-... . Some points are open to debate; for example, my pagefile is on my SSD.

I recommend at least a 60 GB device for your OS. You might consider this for its relatively large capacity at $200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Vertex II was considered a speed demon in its time. 90 GB for $173: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 5, 2011 5:10:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I do like the tweaks link to help save more space and maintain SSD though I would like a guide on installation and clean install. And I may be considering the vertex 2 but is speed the only difference between the two?
m
l
Related resources
a c 292 G Storage
May 5, 2011 6:36:18 PM

stockg86 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I do like the tweaks link to help save more space and maintain SSD though I would like a guide on installation and clean install. And I may be considering the vertex 2 but is speed the only difference between the two?

To the last question, I am not well-versed in the comparative advantages of different SSDs. Or, more briefly, "I don't know."
A clean install is just an install into an empty drive, preferably on a system with no other drives attached and definitely on a system with no bootable drives attached. Do you need instructions on installing Windows 7? Did I miss the point of the question?
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:44:19 PM

No you got it so I just need to remove or format my current hdd then have only the SSD connected to install my os again then I can connect my hdd afterwards correct? Also how would you make a second drive the primary installation or downloads instead of the ssd. I don't want to always browse for my hdd everytime I want to install something on it. I hope that's clear.
m
l
a c 292 G Storage
May 5, 2011 6:56:15 PM

stockg86 said:
No you got it so I just need to remove or format my current hdd then have only the SSD connected to install my os again then I can connect my hdd afterwards correct? Also how would you make a second drive the primary installation or downloads instead of the ssd. I don't want to always browse for my hdd everytime I want to install something on it. I hope that's clear.

Unfortunately not clear, I don't know what you mean by making a drive the downloads.

Usually, this is just a matter of practice for most files. You create a directory on the second drive, and then when you download files you put them in that directory. For music, with something like iTunes, you configure the program to specify the location of the library, and specify a directory on the second drive.

There is also the ubiquitous "My Documents" folder, which by default is on the partition that holds your OS. This can be handled by moving the "My Documents" folder of your user login the first time that you log in. I'm working on XP here at work so I can't give you info on doing this in Win7. Also, with Win7, you may have to move more than one thing (My documents, Common documents, My music, Common music...). I just don't remember. I can't help you further on this.

Any additional programs that you install will be put on the SSD unless the installation process is kind enough to ask if you want to change the location. Just moving the files after-the-fact will likely render the program unusable. I've seen mentions of using a directory link or using Drive Mover to move the installation after-the-fact, but I don't know anything about it.

Finally, if some of the files on your old drive are in the My Documents directory trees, file protection will be a pain in your butt under the new OS because the protections are based on unique identifiers that will be different when you create logins in the new OS. You will have to go in and change ownership if this happens.

Edit: Oh, I get it. You don't want to have to browse for your hdd (locate it in file explorer) every time you want to install or download something. SOL there, as far as I know.
m
l
!