Sign in with
Your question

New to OCing

Last response: in Overclocking
September 11, 2011 9:19:24 PM

Alright so I havent ever really over clocked a cpu before and im going to give it a try and hopefully one day be a pro! My current setup that i just built is a Asrock extreme3 gen3 motherboard, i5 2500k with a coolermaster hyper 212 heat sink, 2x4gb g.skill ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-2n, crossfire radeon 6870's, corsair tx650watt power supply.

I would like to overclock to 4.2 or 4.4ghz and im unfamiliar with the asrock bioses, they look different than any of my previous computer bioses. I got my ram timings set at

Dram Frequency DDR3-1600.
CAS# Latency 9
RAS to CAS Delay 9
Row Precharge Time 9
RAS Active Time 24
Command rate 2N
1.5v

Overclocking to 4.2 or 4.4 will i need to mess with my ram anymore than what its set at now? Also im unfamiliar with write recovery time, refresh cycle time, ras to ras delay, write to read delay, read to precharge....those are all set to auto, do i need to adjust those at all?

CPU ratio setting will be 4.2 or 4.4 and maybe higher if everything stays cool and i wanna go up more?
What will my vcore need to be at roughly, its currently at 1.176v on stock and do i need to mess with Dram voltage, pch voltage, cpu pll voltage, vtt voltage or vccsa voltage?

Im quite new to overclocking and would like to learn all that i can, thanks for being patient with me, and would appreciate all the help i can get, thanks! :) 

More about : ocing

a c 138 K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 10:12:55 PM

I would not be asking for help on overclocking on a forum , there are too many different people with too many different computer configurations.You would be better off looking at some of the reviews from some of the more popular review sites where good experienced techs are doing the overclock. This site along with guru3d.com , overclock.net and so on. There are a lot of variables that go into overclocking and what you do to overclock the cpu can affect the ram. For example if you raise the bclk ( which is the front side buss) it will raise the mhz of the ram. A good way to overclock is to start with a small overclock and see what it does and get comfortable with the settings in the bios and what each one does. Do your homework find some review sties and see what it takes to be an overclocker. Once you do all that you will be surprised how much fun and easy it is to overclock. Some of the Asus ROG MB's make it very easy. I do think that what you want to do is overclock the cpu first and then the ram. One of the things that I read on one of the review sites is the you would raise the multiplier untill it was not stable then add some voltage and repeat , raise the multiplier untill unstable and add voltage , at some point you will also raise the bclk. But like I said read up on it and learn what you can before trying it.
September 11, 2011 10:38:31 PM

Good idea lol thanks :D 
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 14, 2011 8:34:46 AM

Not so good advice, Inzone. nkseal has an Intel K CPU with an unlocked multiplier.

A good Sandy Bridge OC guide by Ryan. He's been around here for years and is worth listening to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266189-29-alternate-s...

My suggestions: increase the CPU multiplier and run the RAM at 1333 MHz. Don't bother trying to overclock the RAM. The minimal increase in performance is not worth the possible increased instability of the memory system.
!