Tides changing

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I remember when Ati's 2000 series flopped, every1 jumped on the green trian and started ignoring the red team. With big red's return I'm curious right now if the tides have changed, and ppl are jumping on the next winning train (which looks like ATI atm).

I made a poll on my website, if you guys can vote I would love it, because I'm doing some research for my freind's store as well.

http://www.icanspeakcomputer.com/

Thank You!!!

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

As of right now ati only has the price/performance and that is cutting it close with the gtx 275 and gtx 260,and not the overall performance crown. Untill the next gen cards are released we do not know who will hold the crown. both could be a flop, ati could flop, or nvidia could flop. It is an exciting ride and good to see both companies offer good products now. In the past both had failures and victories.

I voted for P/P.

I like and dislike some practices of companies but am indifferent to the companies themselves, and I actually prefer developing for one company over the other, but it's not the one that goes out of it's way to help me, I just find the tools easier.

I think the fall will shake things up a bit for P/P and for the perception factor. I suspect that both Reb, Green and Blue will be spending AMPLE amounts of money on PR both for self-promotion and 'enemy' FUD.

Not too sure about that now, havnt seen them run with the new drivers.
Im thinking overall, the 285 sqeaks out the win, but I also think the 4890 has taken a few more games also.
We need some data. The improvements werent just for xf, and yes, the 4890s are currently the best 2 card solution, single, its closer than it was before

No I have a conference in Toronto coming up, but until then I've not gotten any hints, specs or anything (we aren't game devs we don't get pre-release hardware [I get pre-release telecomm hardware]), and actually that team has been less helpful than the other for me and my work and really I needed their help more for making things work right out of the box for customers.

Anywhooo, short answer: no, not yet. :(

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I voted P/P but at this time I believe that ATI has that in the bag, so ATI is what I run. I can't wait to see what the new cards can do, and regardless, when they come out, 4890's prices will most likely drop. Its Win,Win for all of us.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
dunno when I did the beta, it booted faster, but had its share of complications, ie, some games said they weren't compatible with this OS, I think it was SC.

I don't like the new start button thing, but I do like the features and the new look. Also seemed more reliable as well.

I haven't tried this RTM version yet, I have to make sure I save all my files properly and I'm still deciding whether to upgrade or fresh install.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I am a very broke college student and ati is offering me the 4890. With an overclock it is nearly as fast any the nivida line up, maybe even more so with the new drivers but for a far less. I can get 2 4890's for $200 less then 1 GTX 295. If it was the perfect world were I had tons of money for what I wanted then I would say Nividia but somewhere in the last few years they have priced out many poorer people unless you want one of the lower end cards while ATI is still running strong with P/P.

I have switched to ATi as of late because I feel like I want to support them as a company. They offer what I want, for a price I can offered.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Oh btw if ppl are interested in getting an msdn account and being able to download Windows 7 officially, it will cost them less than buying it anyway and u can get it now here.

Sign up as at http://www.ieee.org/portal/site, pay and they will send you login information in about a week to download windows 7

If your a student it only costs 32$ :)

Hope this is interesting to you guys.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Oh you know that was kind of a lie. I did just buy a EVGA 8400 GS for my backup computer but that was only $30. Amazingly I have the thing overclocked to 700 HMz coreclock with a bad case with almost no fans. Given it's default was around 550 I am amazed. Still getting good temps too.

Yeah, I'm actually a little freer with my time right now because.... I ruptured my Hamstring playing hockey, so work from home, take a few pain killers, stop working, surf the .net, etc. Doc says with Physio I should be 99% recovered by end of Sept which gives me a few weeks before Ski season starts. I'll also have more money for gear since I set aside coin for a Canon G11, but with no HD video on it, I'll spend it on a new kick-A$$ laptop (hopefully with some DX11 solution) for the winter season.

Coming to Toronto Eh? :D

Actually I was just there a week ago as well as in the North and Ottawa.

(View from Cottage in North Bay at sunset)
nbsunset.jpg

Had some SW Ont. Peaches & Cream Corn , it was a little young (the season is late this year) but still SWEET !! :sol:

ontcorn.jpg

Anywhoo, not trying to derail the thread, just thought I'd share during my quick stop. :whistle:

BTW I'd say that ATI is back out of the hole they dug for themselves during the HD2K and early HD3K series, and now might have a chance to see some higher ground, but essentially they are still pretty even with either of them only arguably having a slight lead over the other in whatever metric you chose (performance, value, enterprise, features, future, etc).

*edited to fix picture link*

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
before I say anything, let me say that looks good.

And damn thats 1 hell of an injury, thats what happens when you love a violent game:);)

Yeah I'm looking into a new laptop too, just because its soo nice to pick up and go gaming if anything, but at the same time, I love the potential of desktop gaming.

:p

I also think ATI should be doing fine now, but they shouldn't get cocky, because remember what happened to Nvidia when they took the 4000s lightly then they scrambled to lower the prices.

What percentage of computer users own a top end graphics card?

Its not a very big percentage , and while it gives bragging rights to nVidia to make GTX 295's I bet it doesnt make them any significant amount of money

Most people buy on value . ATI is winning that race and will probably continue to do so because they make their own GPU's. That must be cheaper than contracting manufacture to someone else .
So all they have to do is price their product a few dollars less than the equivalent nVidia and count the money .