[Solved] Confusing DVDROM problem

BossMafia

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
So I have a very unusual issue that I just can't figure out. I'm running a Toshiba X205-SLI5 laptop, the relevant spec is I have a LG HL-DT-ST GSA-T20F DVDRAM/ROM drive. It can write and read everything up to DVD+-DL. My issue is it can read/write to cds, dvds, and it can recognize blank dvd-dls. When I go to burn a DVD-DL, it seems to burn fully without error, but the discs usually have some sort of error in CRC and playback, lots of read errors, etc. The drive also cannot seem to read any DVD-DL discs, movies, burned discs, anything. I looked around and could not find any firmware updates for that particular model drive. I'm just at a loss at this point, if anybody has any info that could help me troubleshoot, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

BossMafia

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Another bit of information: When I stick a burned DVD-DL disc in there, such as a movie for example (Store bought), the drive activity will flash at a set rate for about a minute before going completely solid. During this time I can hear drive activity like it's attempting to read the disc and failing. In a rare occasion it will actually read the disc, but most of the time it flashes the goes solid. The times I've seen it read, at least the times I was paying attention, were after a DVD-DL disc has been in the drive with the light solid for a long time. Hopefully this helps