Sign in with
Your question

WD15EARS Noise, dead Hitachi

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2011 2:11:40 PM

Hello,

My HDD has become noisy, an awful grinding and very noticeable. It is registered and can be returned.
I had a Hitachi 1TB previously which made the same noise before it failed, so im wondering if there could be a problem with mobo, BIOS or something? What should i check/test, where would i start?
I have a WD800 that ive had for years which works pefectly well, and so it seems to be large capacity drives which fail.

The HDD has 1 500GB partition and some unallocated space, win7 64
ECS 6100pm v2, award BIOS at default settings.

Thanks.
a b G Storage
May 5, 2011 2:28:58 PM

There is nothing about motherboards that will cause a mechanical failure in hard drives.

Think you might have just been unlucky with both your drives. Back up your drive content if you are concerned about the drive failing. Enterprise class drives apparently have less chance of failure. You may want to consider those if you keep encountering failures.
a c 371 G Storage
May 5, 2011 3:15:52 PM

I suspect that a bad or failing PSU, or a PSU without enough power for your system could cause this to happen, though I'd expect to see more hardware failing.

If you're handy with a volt meter, you can test your PSU.
Related resources
May 5, 2011 3:20:14 PM

wow, unlucky... bad karma from somewhere

Do you think drives were made better in 'O5?
Back up is done, but thanks anyway. Enterprise class drives seem a bit pricey, are they very much more reliable? are they intended for banks or small business?
May 5, 2011 3:52:06 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I suspect that a bad or failing PSU, or a PSU without enough power for your system could cause this to happen, though I'd expect to see more hardware failing.

If you're handy with a volt meter, you can test your PSU.

I havn't the first clue but i can borrow a meter and an electrician, i'll give that shot, thanks
!