Your question

First Time Computer Builder- Need Opinions on Custom PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2009 3:49:44 AM

I have loved this site for so long, but up until now I have only browsed. After seeing all that one can do with a custom gaming PC, I really want one! After doing a little research, I think I have come up with a pretty good gaming PC. I already have a monitor, keyboard, speakers, and a mouse, so I did not include those. Could you guys please let me know what you think of this setup? Will everything work well together? Also, with a PC like this, what can I expect as far as gaming-wise? Would I be able to play the newest games, and, if so, how long could I expect to be able to play the new games without having to upgrade something?

$25 -- LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

$90 -- RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

$120 -- BFG Tech BFGE981024GTOCE GeForce 9800 GT OC 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$385 -- COMBO:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Rosewill RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK-2 6 ft. HDMI Cable

TOTAL: Right at $700 including shipping, taxes, and before rebates

Thank you so much in advance! I really look forward to undertaking this project! I appreciate the help!

~Travis

More about : time computer builder opinions custom

July 31, 2009 3:55:31 AM

Buy a separate PSU such as one from Corsair, Antec, PC P&C, Seasonic, or OCZ. Do not use the bundled one! Also upgrading your graphics card is a must... check out the 4850-4890 depending on your resolution (which I don't see above). Finally, check out RAM with latencies in the 7-7-7-24 such as this from OCZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Other then that looks pretty good.
m
l
July 31, 2009 3:59:32 AM

A few changes to be made, dont get an IDE drive, SATA cables are easier to work with and the drives cost the same.

Raidmax PSU's arent great, you dont want to cheap out on your PSU, get a good antec or corsair or something like the one in this case/psu combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

You can also save a bit by going with this GPU, its also stronger than the 9800 and allows you to get a second down the line
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2009 4:01:32 AM

the 9800 gt isnt a particularly strong gfx card by todays standards and will only be ok if you have a fairly low resolution monitor .

Id sacrifice a bit of cpu power for a better gfx card
You could build an AM3 rig with a 720 be triple core and include an ATI 4870 or perhaps even 4890 gfx card which will keep you current much longer

what resolution is your monitor?
m
l
July 31, 2009 4:16:09 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies! I didn't even think about that with the IDE drive. I will definitely go SATA. Also, I actually don't have a monitor yet. I have a 720p projector and I am planning on buying a fairly low-end monitor off craigslist or something. I just want to be able to play all the great PC games that are out! Another big factor for me is that I'm a college student, so I don't have a lot to spend. Basically, I just want to game. I would love to go all out, but I just don't have a whole lot of money to work with. My main goals are to be able to play PC games for the next few years, and to keep it under $800. Is this feasible?
m
l
July 31, 2009 4:29:40 AM

I have a capped broadband data plan and have horribly low speeds for the next few days

but on newegg have a look for the 720 be Phenom and ASUS am3 mb combo for about $205 . Brilliant value

And then have a look at Ati 4890's Search for the lowest price because sometimes these are around $170

If you choose parts carefully you may even be able to afford a 22 inch LCD which are around $150 in your $800 budget

m
l
!