Injecting Mass Storage Drivers into XP SP3 deployment on MDT2010

jbbarnett19

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I have an issue with deploying Windows XP SP3 to a Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook.

The Toughbook requires an additional storage driver for the SATA hard drive. The controller is the "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller", for which I have obtained the latest driver from Intel's website. I can confirm that this is the correct driver because it successfully loads XP when booted from a VL XP SP2 disc and a floppy disc using the "F6" injection.

So I know I have the right driver. I just have to get it inject properly during the deployment from MDT 2010. According to the documentation, all I should have to do is import the driver, update my deployment share (updating the boot images), and MDT will take care of "updating" the necessary files (unattend.txt, etc.) with the proper modifications to inject the drivers. This didn't work.

The next step was to configure them manually. So here are the modifications that I have made:

1. The driver was imported into MDT as part of the first attempt.

2. I have added an \$OEM$ folder to the \i386 folder of the XP installation files within the Deployment Share, and a \TEXTMODE folder within that \$OEM$ folder. Within this \TEXTMODE folder, I have placed all of the SATA driver files.

3. I have altered the TXTSETUP.OEM file included with the driver files, only to change the default to be the controller I need. (I commented out the existing)

[Defaults]
scsi = iaAHCI_ICH9MEM
;scsi = iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME

4. I altered the Unattend.txt file to set the "OemPreInstall = Yes" setting in the [Unattended] section and to add in the [MassStorageDrivers] and [OEMBootFiles] sections. These sections are below:

[MassStorageDrivers]
; Used when custom disk drivers must be specified
; Enter the description name =Retail or OEM
"Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" = "OEM"
"Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]
; This section is used to specify custom HALs, and also maps to the Mass Storage Device section
iaAHCI.cat
iaAHCI.inf
iaStor.cat
iaStor.inf
IaStor.sys
TXTSETUP.OEM

With these modifications, the deployment almost works. I boot to the Win PE, launch the Task Sequence, and deployment begins. The driver is injected to some degree, because the textmode portion of the install works fine, and doesn't complain about not being able to find a hard drive. The textmode completes, and the guimode starts. The GUI mode gets to the portion where it is "Copying Files". This part finishes, the GUI disappears, and the LTI goes through the Post-Install phase, the starts to reboot....

Then I get a BSOD STOP screen. The BSOD doesn't give me any file names but displays the error code:
0x0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X00000000, 0X8B7ABC08, 0X8B7AB7E0)
I then have to manually turn off the machine by holding the power button.

Upon powering on the machine, if I let it boot to the hard drive, Windows Setup resumes (no LTI, just standard windows install). The Setup goes through the TextMode, then the GUImode SUCCESSFULLY, completely unattended. When the computer boots into Windows for the first time, per the instruction in the Unattend.txt in the [GUIRunOnce} section, the LiteTouch.wsf script is launched, and the rest of the Task Sequence (starting with the State Restore Phase) completes without issue, and the summary states that the Deployment has completed successfully, with no errors or warnings.

I'm sure that the SATA driver is getting from the Deployment Share to the Target machine, or else the OS would never install. I just can't seem to get the machine from BSODing in the middle requiring user interaction to restart the computer manually. Any help is very much appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

~ Jay

NuwanW

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Is this still a problem? I have the solution for you in case it still does not work for you:

Make an nlite Windows XP Image and add your AHCI/SATA/SCSI drivers in.
Furter, leave the CD as untouched as possible.
Build your ISO and burn or mount it

- Import your Operating System using the MDT Workbench by Selecting "full set of source files" and
select the location of your mounted or burned CD.
Follow the furter steps for actually importing of your Unattended-CD into your Workbench.

- Make the Tasksequence and select your OS from the OS-list which you just made.

Start your computer from network and you can install your OS.