Athlon II X3 455 for gaming...

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hello,
I just want to ask a quick question: Can I play, maybe, BFBC2 on high settings without overclocking? I haven't bought it yet and am planning on doing so. The GPU is Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1gb. 4gb DDR3.

Solution
Home now :)
Yes, that adaptor is your power for the gfx card, the 6pin plugs into the card, and the two white(Or black in that other post) Molex plugs need a connection to the psu each, not just one, both need to be plugged in
let me know how you get on, I'll check back when I'm awake later :)
Moto

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

To play BFBC2 on high setting on that configuration, monitor resolution should be around 1440 x 900 or lower in order to get around 30FPS.

Well your cpu isn't king of the hill but it certainly isn't on the bottom or under the kill for that matter no what Intel fanboys say. Unlocking may provide a free boost if your board can unlock while there is software out there for that but I haven;t investigated the software option.

@Nforce, the unlocking ability lies in the chipset, any amd 710 or newer should support unlocking of potential hidden/disabled cores,
I'm unaware of any software to unlock chips although amd overdrive is used to overclock, bios is the way :)
(unless your board has E-z O/c or similar built in, thats in your bios screen on asrock boards)
Moto

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
OK, I ended up getting the Athlon X3 455 and I bought a Galaxy GeForce GTS 450 1gb DDR5 gpu. I had no problem getting the processor to work, but when I installed the gpu into the motherboard it couldn't detect my monitor. I installed the latest drivers from the manufacturers website, but it didn't work, neither did the CD that came with the graphics card. When I booted the computer up using a VGA monitor running on the on-board gpu, it said it successfully installed the graphics card but it could never detect the monitor. (The other monitor being a HP w1858 DVI monitor.) My mobo is Gigabyte M68MT-S2P. The GTS's instructions for installing it says "Connect the appropriate power to the graphics card (if needed.)" and I don't know what that means. (It came with a 6 pin connector but I don't know what it's used for.) ... If someone could get back to me as soon as possible, that would be most a appreciative. Thank you in advance.

(My username indicates exactly what I am at a certain sense.)

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Can you give me an example of what I need? Like, the spare molex? This is what the cord looks like, that came with my GPU:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/11123797/pci-express-6-pin-to-2-x-4-molex-b65 (Also, thanks for replying, you seem like the main person doing so, which is good.)

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
One other thing I forgot to note is that my current (gpu I'm using right now.) is a Radeon HD 5450 and that card is ddr3, but the GTS 450 is a ddr5. I don't know if that makes a difference. :??:

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Home now :)
Yes, that adaptor is your power for the gfx card, the 6pin plugs into the card, and the two white(Or black in that other post) Molex plugs need a connection to the psu each, not just one, both need to be plugged in
let me know how you get on, I'll check back when I'm awake later :)
Moto

Solution

New2PCKid

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
OK, I plugged the adapter into my GPU and PSU and my screen came on! (Thank you. :) ) And after I restarted my computer, I installed the Nvidia drivers. So, how do I benchmark my GPU to test it fully? Thank you again, you've been a great help man! :D :D :D

Edit: Nevermind, I found FurMark and tested it with that. (Unless there's something better...) Thanks a lot man, you saved me in a way, I thought I had bought a Graphics card for $140 for no reason.