Sign in with
Your question

New too SSD help

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2011 3:30:39 PM

Alright so i want to add a ssd to my current rig. I also want to update to windows 7 and run it on my ssd. What i don't get is what happens to my other HDD. It has vista on it do i need to get rid of it? and if so how? I wouldnt mind just clearing the whole drive how would i go about this? You kinda get what i mean? If i was starting with to clean drives i wouldnt have a problem but i dont know what to do with my current drive.

More about : ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a c 99 G Storage
May 6, 2011 4:36:38 PM

Back up all your important files first! Like the My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folders. Also, most everything is the User folder, like Contacts. and Favorties.

If you are updating to Windows 7, then do a clean install of Win7 to the SSD.

Then you can format your current drive, erasing everything on it, to use as a data/media/storage drive, depending on it's size.

If your current drive is large enough (1TB or more), the SSD can be used as a boot drive with only the OS and Programs on it. Thus, this could be a smaller sized SD, but at least 60GB. Then you can copy all your data/media (i.e. My Documents) to the HDD.

You don't have to format the HDD, but you should delete all Vista info, which is a PITA. But this will keep all your data.

That's just a starter.
m
l
May 6, 2011 11:57:27 PM

foscooter said:

If your current drive is large enough (1TB or more), the SSD can be used as a boot drive with only the OS and Programs on it. Thus, this could be a smaller sized SD, but at least 60GB. Then you can copy all your data/media (i.e. My Documents) to the HDD.

Why does my current drive have to be 1tb or more? Can i justt have a 128 SSD and a 500gb hdd. WIll that work fine? All i would have on my hdd would be maybe 50gb of media. I dont store movies just some music and word docs.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
May 7, 2011 12:48:49 AM

You can run with a 128GB SSD and an 500GB hard drive without issues.

It is typically just recommended to go with a 1TB drive due to their prices being so close to a the price of a 500GB drive, so why not (example the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 99 G Storage
May 7, 2011 1:56:26 AM

Right, for you, the 500GB should do well.

But, IMHO, 128GB SSD might be more cost than use, but that's what I have (kinda, and only using 26GB).

You are on the right track.
m
l
May 7, 2011 2:07:22 AM

I was able to track down the c300 128gb ssd for $210, price is right.
m
l
!