Sign in with
Your question

About the best RAM brand to upgrading my old one

Last response: in Memory
January 23, 2010 2:58:12 PM

I have AUSU A8N SLI Premium motherboard with AMD Athlon X2 3300 processor ,
I want to upgrade my existing RAM in order to enhance the performance for gaming , (I'm attempting to increase it to maximum 4GB of RAM)

I found two choices :

1-CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT400C3 (2 kits of this costs 136$ ) without heat Spreader

2-G.SKILL Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX (2 kits of this costs 170$ ) with heat Spreader

By the way is heat Spreader really make a difference ? and is there any other recommendations ?

More about : ram brand upgrading

a b } Memory
January 23, 2010 4:47:57 PM

It won't make much of a difference unless you want to raise your RAM's voltage a lot
January 23, 2010 4:58:51 PM

I didn't understand , how can I raise it ?
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 24, 2010 5:34:36 AM

You can raise your RAM's voltage through the BIOS.
And i meant that if you don't want to raise your voltage a lot,then the heat spreader won't make much of a difference.
As an example for normal OC's,you won't need to raise the voltage much therefore a normal RAM without a heat spreader is fine.
a b } Memory
January 24, 2010 4:14:43 PM

The first question is, what is your existing RAM?????
If you are adding memory to memory you already have, you need to match what you buy to what you already have.
That is the MOST important thing to look at, before you start throwing money away.
January 24, 2010 5:06:31 PM

I already have Corsair 1GB (2 x 512MB ) ,

The purpose of upgrading the RAM is looking for a better performance in general , especially in games ,

Do I need to do any thing els ?
What is the benefit from increasing the voltage in BIOS ?
a b } Memory
January 24, 2010 7:48:22 PM

I would simply get a kit of 2 1 gig sticks that match exactly what you have and install them.
You don't need anything more, you are only tossing money out the Window. Memory speed has very, very minimal performance impact.
Your processor at 2.4ghz is more of a problem than the speed of your memory. But you do need a little more memory, 1 gig is not enough.
!