decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I just got a mb speaker so I could breadboard my new build because it wasn't booting.
I have the mb with cpu and hsf installed, and hooked up to case so I can turn it on. No memory installed.
When I boot up, I hear the 1 long and 2 short beeps (no video card beep?), but it has integrated graphics. I thought I would get the long single "no memory beep."
Then I added a stick of RAM, and got the same 1 long beep and 2 short(er) beeps.
When I boot up with the monitor hooked up, I get bars of static on the screen.

Is there something wrong with my motherboard graphics???

Case:
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU:
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core

MB:
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Hard Drive:
WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN 750GB SERIAL ATA/300 32MB

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
One long and two short beeps usually indicate a graphics problem. Seems to be verified by the static bars on your screen. Try a graphics card if you can and see what occurs. Go ahead and leave the RAM in place for the first go and work your way through the other areas.

I'm with Proximon, especially since it may have been my breadboarding thread you looked at.

I had tried several different brands of motherboards, all with discrete graphics, and they all did the same thing - a series of long beeps when no memory is installed. I have never tried the troubleshooting techniques on a board with integrated graphics. So I also am very curious to hear what is going on.

My work PC (also self built) does have integrated graphics. I will test tomorrow to see what happens.

In the meantime, if you clear the CMOS (motherboard manual will have directions), the default state for the motherboard will be integrated graphics.

Indeed, you may have graphics problems. The problem is that because the system will not POST, you cannot get into the BIOS to enable the discrete graphics card.

Some motherboards with integrated graphics will detect the presence of a video card and automagically enable it, so there is some hope if that's your problem.

Although this is not your problem, I'd like to point out that the "dead video card" BIOS beeps will indicate a problem with the video interface. It does not check for the full functioning of the chip or card. That's what the Mark I Eyeball does. Case in point: our 7 year old household computer (P4 Celeron, Asus motherboard with integrated graphics) died recently - no graphical display. It still successfully POSTed (single short beep).

decipherfreak,
If I lose track of this thread, please private message me with the final solution so I can incorporate what we learned in my Breadboarding thread.
----------
Building computers since 1976.

decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
So I got a friend to take a look at it. He put in a graphics card of his own, and it worked! So there's something wrong with the onboard graphics. I hope I can borrow a gpu and look through the BIOS settings and maybe make the graphics work. Or I'll have to go buy a card.

Is this a good one? (see previous posts for graphics needs)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102073

thanks for the help guys!

Just got back to the house from work today.

The computer that I built for work uses my old E6600. It's an ECS motherboard (freebie from Fry's) with an integrated video chipset from nVidia. Did some testing. It makes long beeps without the memory. I left it with the integrated video enabled, then plugged in my old 8800GTS. I guess both of our boards will automatically detect a video card.

decipher, you can try to look through the BIOS settings to see what video settings the board uses, but I suspect that you will find that the integrated graphics are enabled by default. In that case, you need to decide if you are going to RMA your board.

The video card that you linked to is an older AGP card. Your motherboard uses something called PCI Express. Check this site's graphics articles for the best video cards in each price range:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2362.html