kickbass4777

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
so im building a system around a i7 920 cpu. i picked up a xion 1000w psu based on a coworker's recommendation . But im seeing lots of bad reviews of xion products online outside of retailers websites. this concerns me . my basic setup will be this

core i7 920
thermaltake soprano rs101 case
6gb muskin ddr3 triple channel
320gb wd hd
intel dx58so board
crossfired xfx ati 4890 graphics ( x 2)
scythe mugen 2 cpu cooler
lite on dvd / cd combo
3x 120mm case fan
5x 80 mm case fan
xion powerreal 1000w

i want to know if you think my xion psu will handle this build ok . i will be going for 3ghz overclock too. Eventually i may swap out the motherboard for a 3rd party board with enough slots for 12gb ddr3. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I actually really like the xion psu with its blue led ( all my fans are led ) im just hoping it isnt complete junk ...

4745454b

Titan
I have yet to read a good review of Xion products. I believe it was [H]ard that did a review of their 450W unit that exploded. If you can return, I would do so. If you can't, sell it to someone impressed with large numbers and buy a better PSU. It has enough wattage, and amperage for what you want, but the insides are made of junk.

Mushkin is ok ram. Not the best, but there is worse out there. I think the 4890 is a touch faster, but I'm not sure. You can't go wrong either way, get whichever is cheaper. XFX is a great company.

Yep Xion 700W at jonnyguru was junk too. The company makes some effort but it's poorly designed PSUs that look nice it seems.

I would rate Mushkin higher than OCZ, but all the major memory vendors are fine really, except Crucial. I personally favor G.skill.

Another thumbs down for the Xion.
While it will probably run your system, it is not what you would call a quality PSU.
Return it if you can and get a Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C or Antec Earthwatts PSU.

There is nothing wrong with Mushkin RAM so long as you get it at a good price.
Shop around and se what is the least expensive Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ, G.SKILL, Patriot or Supper Talent kit is.
As long as it has a good warranty, they will all perform about the same for you.

Both the 4890 and GTX 275 perform similarly at stock and a pair of either will treat you fine.
I would still prefer the 4890 for its DX 10.1 support and higher overclocking headroom.
Do not wory to much about which brand you chose.
Most cards are built the same off reference parts with either a branded sticker on the cooler or an in house designed cooler.
As long as the warranty covers your intended usage period (and XFX has a lifetime warranty), there is little difference between the different brands.

One further question, why are you getting an Intel original motherboard?
It looks like you are going for a fairly high end rig and you would probably be better served with a quality ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard...

+1 @Proximon (thumbs are currently missing). I just read the 700W XION PSU review because of another thread, and it's crap. It didn't blow chunks, but another 30W of load or another degree or two in the hotbox probably would have killed it.
Personally, I like mushkin RAM; it has become my first choice over the last couple of years, but I too have had good results with G.skill and Geil, and bad results with Crucial.
As for the PSU, in your place I'd look at an Antec 750W-850W Truepower New or a Corsair 750W. Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax are other brands I consider good.

why are you getting an Intel original motherboard?

Probably a retail employee benefitting from Intel's incentive plan or he purchased someone's benefit.

ATI Radeon™ HD 4890 - System Requirements

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements-4890.html

kickbass4777

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
im going to have to make do with the xion until i get some more cash : ) a couple people on tiger direct have built systems similar to mine with it . yes i am a retail employee , thats the only reason i got the intel board .

TRENDING THREADS