Oh my god, what have i just done.........

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I have just swapped a graphics card and psu from one pc to another, just because i am changing the roles of each machine.

In doing so i have plugged in a 3 day old, XFX HD 4890 black edition.

This card has two power connectors, an 8 pin and a six pin. It comes with a 2x molex to 6 pin adapter, so that is what i used.

When connecting that adapter, i had problems getting th stupid sh1tty molex connectors to fit together (they are SUCH a crap design!! ).

After connecting it all up and powering on my machine, no POST beep. All lights on on mboard, all lights on on gfx card, all fans at full speed...... removed the graphics card completely (no onboard video) no bios beeps, cannot get the machine to do anything

I have a very bad feeling that i may have pulled one of the wires out of the molex plug and not put it back in the correct hole......

I might have just fried my gfx card, motherboard and cpu..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

1. PLEASE can someone let me know the CORRECT configuration of one of these 2x molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapters as soon as possible.

2. Is the behaviour of my machine (fans full speed etc.) indicative of what i suspect?

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
PS The adaptor is the one on the right, but it has 3 wires going into each molex (which is correct as it worked in previous PC), it is just the configuration of the wires i need to know. Thanks for any help/support

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
they should be color coded yellow, red and black, plus the D shape of the connectors makes it ALMOST murphy proof, if you don't have power connectrors attached you shoud geta warning at first that says to connect the power, but the real question is can you see the boot to BIOS screen or any thing, if you did force the connector together wrong you could have taken the PS and video card out

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Don't you just have your onboard GPU still enabled? (if you have a onboard gpu)

Try to swap out with another GPU. Maybe your PSU isn't up to the job?

Good luck

Grtz,
FeareX

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

Hi. I suggest you read the OP's post next time before typing. It usually prevents senseless suggestions like this.

Just a few confirmations for the OP:
What PSU are you using? (it has an 8 pin connector but not 6 pin?)
You are connecting your monitor the correct ports, onboard and GPU respectively, when you switch them on and off? (just gotta make sure we're not making any stupid mistakes before looking for deeper problems)
Did your motherboard usually beep/make noises before, during normal boot ups?
Why do you say the molex adapters have a bad design?

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Thanks for the replies so faqr guys, but you are missing the obvious and most pressing issue. No response from POST at all. when firing up the mboard without a gpu or without ram, i sjhould get some audible response from the mboard.

As for number 13's response, you have not read my post properly. I have not forced the molex connector the wrong way round, the wire has been forced out when connecting to the fem-male molex and i beleive this to be the cause.

To confirm my suspicions i still need to know the correct wiring configuration for the molex adapter - note that on each of the molex fem sockets, there are only 3 wires on each, so it is impossible to guess/deduce.

Still hoping someone can post a photo/diagram explainnig the wiring of these?

Thanks guys

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Molex connectors are usually colored yellow, red, and black; with the wires towards you, the female connector will be yellow, black (black/none) red, and the male should be the reverse red, black/none, black, yellow. But for some reason, it doesn't appear that all molex connectors follow this exact design.

Yellow = 12v
Red = 5v
Black = Ground

The 6pin in a
clip here
1 2 3
4 5 6
design
1, 2, 3should have 12v connectors and 4, 5, 6 should be ground.
Edit: It's the other way around, 1 2 3 (clip being top) is ground, 4 5 6 = 12v

God knows how accurate this information is; I'm gonna have to do some google searching later just as a refresher.

Edit:
Well, could you try booting without RAM and see if it gives a POST then?