Windows Will Not Load ATI Radeon Drivers

pbreuer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Community,

I am having trouble with Windows not loading or inconsistently loading the driver for my Radeon graphics card. A few months back Windows randomly deleted/lost the drive for my ATI Mobility 3400 Series Graphics Card on my T400 Lenovo. I downloaded the most current driver and installed it. After a reboot windows failed to load the ATI driver and instead loads/tries to load a generic VGA driver. At the time it was not a big deal as I was using Linux 99 percent of the time. However, now I need Windows to do some minor video editing and capturing game footage.

In a further attempt to fix this problem I downloaded the newest driver. Addtionally, I installed the newest windows updates. After the install of the windows update I installed the graphics driver. Upon reboot Windows properly loaded the ATI driver. However, the next time I loaded windows it again failed to load (or find) any ATi drivers. It again loaded the generic VGA driver.

Specs:

2.4g Dual Core Intel
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3400 Series
4gb Memory
Windows XP w/ latest updates

Please help. This has to be one of the most frustrating problems I have faced. I guess if no solution is found I will just find a program to edit video in Linux :lol:

Reinstalling drivers over existing drivers without first uninstalling, could lead to problems. Might read this article thoroughly to decided if you wish to try the solution. I also would change Auto Windows update to notify you, but let you choose when to install, so you can look at what updates are to be installed.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/uninstallgraphics/uninstall.html